We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Local Specialty Brands - Who, What and Where

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Food and Travel, Holiday Travel, Spa Vacations, World Cup, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
182 reviews
Save Topic
Local Specialty Brands - Who, What and Where

All places have ther local specialties and I am sure we all are aware of the claim to fame of Hungarian paprika.

My question is which brand is the most popular and where woud you get it..spoecialty shop..Great Market Hall etc. etc.

Additional items of interest are most poular candy bar, Chestnut Puree, sausage and any other popular item someone may want to add as a must purchase local brand

Thanks to all who answer

Edited: 8:52 pm, April 17, 2012
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Food and Travel, Holiday Travel, Spa Vacations, World Cup, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Local Specialty Brands - Who, What and Where

Anyone got a favorite I should know about?

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
7,463 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Local Specialty Brands - Who, What and Where

On paprika, the best is in unmarked bags and is sold by farmers at farm stands. This tends to be seasonal and the best selection is in or near the towns where the peppers are grown and the paprika is milled ... Szeged and Kalocsa ... but they can also be found in celo bags in the farmers' market section of the Great Markethall (sometimes) or in the much larger farmers' market sections of the markets at Lehel ter and behind the Mammut Mall in Buda (these last two are there every day the market is open, the Great Markethall only has a farmers' market section with farm goods on Fridays and Saturdays)

It tends to be seasonal and now is not the season, so you may not find paprika in any of them until the fall of 2012; but you may (a friend found some a month ago and i haven't tried since); sometimes the same little old ladies sell paprika paste in small jars, and this is actually more commonly used than the powder these days

my favorite candies are the brand called Negroes, a popular brand of licorice candy (and they make gummis that i also favor); Turos Rudi is a national passion (a sort of frozen sweet cheese, chocolate covered and diversely flavored) i am not a fan

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Local Specialty Brands - Who, What and Where

The Negroes (in all their flavors) are actually cough drops. But they work as candy as well.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
2,880 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Local Specialty Brands - Who, What and Where

Hey SEBESZ,

I'll add a few favorites to John's list:

1. Eros Piszta - (Strong Stephen) - This is a hot paprika spread, packaged in a small jar like the size of Dijon mustard. It's great in soups, on sandwiches, etc. If you like spicy, then this is a must. Pick up at the market or in any grocery. There is a "sister" to Eros Piszta that's not spicy, but I don't know the name.

2. Pick Sausage (Csipos - spicy). My wife always told me that the best sausage on the globe was from Hungary. I used to laugh, until we moved back and I tried many brands. She was right. My favorite is the Pick brand - spicy flavor. Fantastic. There is a great Pick store at Kossuth ter right at parliement (metro stop).

3. Szerencsi (Pom Pom). This is a Hungarian chocolate made in Eastern Hungary. There is one package that pops up into a cartoon like picture - sure kids love it. The chocolate is solid and the packaging is a conversation topics. You can find the brand at some small grocery stores (I.e., CBA) around town. Google the name for some pictures.

These are some of my unique favorites. I have others.....but this is a good addition.....enjoy

Jeremy

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Local Specialty Brands - Who, What and Where

SEBESZ will be going through Serencs so he will get the smell and maybe stop for a box. They also make a pop-out calender for Advent. Not my favorite but in the 1980's that was the only chocolate you could get...just like there was only one cough drop, Negro, as well as so many other products back then. You went into the COOP or ABC and you had a choice of one. The Edes "_____" can be found next to the Eros Piszta in the stores.

The last I heard (and this goes back and forth) The US doesn't allow us to bring the absolute excellent Pick Szalami into the country because they won't divulge their secret recipe to the US government (which will instantly leak it out.) This is while Coke, KFC, and dozens of other US secret recipe products are sold all over the EU. This is despite the fact Pick has been around a lot longer than these other products. Nobody's getting sick from it...free the Pick Szalami! Write your congressman.

Edited: 3:58 pm, April 18, 2012
nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
7,463 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Local Specialty Brands - Who, What and Where

To my tastes, Pick is smokier than I prefer and I like Herz more as a result...Pick's availability in the USA comes and goes but at present it comes:

http://www.hungariandeli.com/Deli.htm

or

amazon.com/PICK-Hungarian-Salami-approx-400g…

and it's available in most serious euroean delis ... to the best of my recollection it was originally banned because it included donkey meat many years ago; then it became available again, then not, mostly over politics and trade tariffs; then it got banned again because of FDA requirements for processing plant standards and inspections, which Pick complied with in 2009, and since then it has been 'on' again (though it is totally unclear to me whether one can buy a salami at the airport and legally bring it into the USA

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Local Specialty Brands - Who, What and Where

The last time I was unfortunate to have to go though JFK, they had "szalami sniffing dogs" checking the carry-on and checked bags from Central Europe.

I have a few sites in US as well that list Pick Szalami, but when you call or e-mail they are always out and then they try to switch you over to the Chicago salamis.

P.S.: There are many varieties of Pick products some are mild, some smokey and some very spicy.

Edited: 4:53 pm, April 18, 2012
nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
7,463 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Local Specialty Brands - Who, What and Where

speaking head to head -- pick to herz -- in particular on the Teli salami

as i say, i have no difficulty finding it in the USA, but my preference here is the Bende 'Hungarian Brand'

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Local Specialty Brands - Who, What and Where

Thanks

So forgive my ignorance

Where would you get Bende 'Hungarian Brand' or is this a variation of another label,

Additionally I hav been to the Great Matrket before but which booths should I go to in order to buy the assorted delicious items mentioned here, for a vistor it can be a little overwhelming

In this journey it is not really about price but wanting the very best they offer in general

Thanks

Edited: 7:38 pm, April 18, 2012
nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
7,463 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Local Specialty Brands - Who, What and Where

It's made in Chicago ... http://www.bende.com/ When Hungarian salamis were banned for politics and donkey meat, Bende stepped in and made the salamis that were sold at Paprikas Weiss, the major Hungarian import store in Yorkville

Frankly, if you want the best of anything of this sort in Budapest rather than Chicago, the Central Market is not necessarily the best place to go; among market halls, try the Feny utca or Lehel ter market or Hunyadi ter...

One thought you might explore: the smoked stuff in the poultry butcher on Semmelweis utca, just where Vitkovics Mihaly dead ends into it ... rather good take away fried chicken as well, and on weekends -- house made goose liver