We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budapest to Krakow - Plane, Train, or Bus?

Moorpark, California
Level Contributor
99 posts
105 reviews
Save Topic
Budapest to Krakow - Plane, Train, or Bus?

3 of us (2 adults and 1-child who is 11 years old) are thinking of going from Budapest to Krakow. What is the best and reasonable way of getting there?

Doing a cursory look of doing it by air, it seems the airplane tickets would roughly cost me $1000 for the 3 of us.

Can somebody suggest a different way? There seems to be a night train, but where do I go? I also heard of Orangebus? I wouldn't mind taking the train - since by the time I go to the airport and taking the flight I would assume I would be using up already 3 or 4 hours of my time.

Any suggestion is helpful. Thinking of going from Budapest to Krakow around July 10, 2012. Thanks

USA
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budapest to Krakow - Plane, Train, or Bus?

Look at Ryanair. I checked them for a possibility in June. They had (if my memory is correct) three flights a week to and from Krakow. They were midnight departures and arrivals (more or less) and they were under 100 euro before all the fees and tricks that are typical for a discount airline. Still think you could beat $1,000 for three tickets. Or, for that kind of money you can possibly get driven to Krakow. My plan was to fly to Krakow and then be driven back to Budapest, but we decided to drive both ways . The cost is competitive with your airfare quote and you would get to see some country along the way. Here is what we have planned.

1. Day one, Budapest to Banska Stiavnica, Slovakia (been here before, great little town)

theodora.com/wfb/photos/slovakia/banska_stia…

2. Day two, on to Orava for the castle and then on to Strbske Pieso for a couple of days of fishing. At this point you are about 2.5 hours from Krakow, but we will save Krakow for another trip.

…shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/9064…

gonback.com/eslovaquia/IMG/Strbske_Pleso.JPG

3. Day five, Strbske Pieso to Bojnice to see the castle and spend the night.

slovakia-touroperator.com/gallery2/main.php…

4. Day six, back to Budapest

Except for the last leg all the driving is under 3 hours per day.

Moorpark, California
Level Contributor
99 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Budapest to Krakow - Plane, Train, or Bus?

Hmm. Didn't consider driving before. Have you ever driven in that place? We don't speak the language - just plain English - so just wondered if that would be a problem. We are thinking of staying 4 or 5 days in Budapest, go to Krakow and stay for 4 days, then go to Warsaw and stay for another 4 days. Then we fly home.

Do they drive the way we do - meaning at our typical side of the road? My concern with driving is I don't want to worry about finding a place or paying for a place to park the car.

Thanks

USA
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Budapest to Krakow - Plane, Train, or Bus?

Yes, they drive as we do in Texas, but I have been to CA and no one but Californians drive like that. Notice I said "be driven" I hire a driver.

Australia
Level Contributor
57 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Budapest to Krakow - Plane, Train, or Bus?

Hello flying from Budapest to krakow in September with lot polish airlines via Warsaw $268aus for 2 people. Plane leaves Budapest 9.30 am arrives krakow 13.10pm. I booked through e-dreams.

Australia
Level Contributor
57 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Budapest to Krakow - Plane, Train, or Bus?

Hello flying from Budapest to krakow in September with lot polish airlines via Warsaw $268aus for 2 people. Plane leaves Budapest 9.30 am arrives krakow 13.10pm. I booked through e-dreams.

Szada, Pest, Hungary
Level Contributor
425 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Budapest to Krakow - Plane, Train, or Bus?

There is a daily night train, it leaves BP at 8 PM and arrives in Krakow at 7 AM. It costs 40-100 €, depending on the comfort and the availability of discounted tickets.

But as bobandco says, the best is if you can drive a car: it is not more than 6 hrs, between mountains, beautiful landscape.

A recommended restaurant as a stopover in this case:

http://www.salaskrajinka.sk/sk/kontakt.html

Moorpark, California
Level Contributor
99 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Budapest to Krakow - Plane, Train, or Bus?

Thanks all!

For the LOT airlines, it is showing for 3 on July 9 as $754.00, so I am thinking of finding a cheaper way of doing it if possible. Starting to think that maybe driving or being driven would be a good idea.

Thanks again for the input!

USA
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Budapest to Krakow - Plane, Train, or Bus?

For $754 you can hire a nice MB Van and driver. Let me know if you need some names.

Moorpark, California
Level Contributor
99 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Budapest to Krakow - Plane, Train, or Bus?

Yes. I'll explore that option. Because it's a Monday, I can't use Ryanair. There's the overnight train and Orangeways. Not sure, however, if Orangeways wills run that day. So please do. You can send it to my email directly if you want. Thanks a bunch!!!!

Europe
Level Contributor
538 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Budapest to Krakow - Plane, Train, or Bus?

Orangeways is not very reliable company, so wouldn't recommend it. Train, imho, is the best option. Regular fare is a bit expensive (80 EUR just for ticket + potential sleeper reservation), but, as said above, you can catch discounted SparNight ticket (from 39 EUR, and that's ticket+reservation included), those can be bought online from MAV website.