We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Furniture / Decoration in Budapest

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Furniture / Decoration in Budapest

Hi,

I will be visiting Budapest for 3 days and will be looking for Furniture and Lighting products. I know there are some nice shops at Kiraly utca and andrassy I also read about a mall called max city which i intend to visit. I would like to know if there are any other areas in the city with a big concentration of lighting or decoration shops.

Thanks

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
2,884 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Furniture / Decoration in Budapest

Hi Ahmed,

I'm not familiar with a concentration of shops you describe. Outside of lighting what are you in search of? Do you want big-box stores (I.e., Ikea or Kika) or smaller shops? And please advise back once you visit Max City. This is a building with many different shops - all around home furnishings. To be honest - the last (and only) time I was there a couple years ago I was less than impressed by the high prices and many empty shops. I hope times have changed....

There is a nice lamp shop at 17 Karolina ut (street) in District XI I have made purchases in. I cannot recall the name, but it's fairly easy to spot because of all the lights inside....

I also checked in google and got the following hits....some may be helpful......http://www.google.hu/search?q=lampa+budapest&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Good shopping.

Jeremy

Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Furniture / Decoration in Budapest

Hi Jeremy,

Thank you for your reply.

I am looking for shops that sell lighting and furniture. Not big box shops because we have these here in Bucharest. I was wondering if there is a part of the city or a street where there are specialized shops for home decoration. For example we have a street here in Bucharest that only has shops that sell home decorations / sanitary ware / doors etc. ... I wanted to check if there is a similar area in budapest.

Thanks

Budapest
Level Contributor
333 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Furniture / Decoration in Budapest

Many of the upscale design places where one can find upscale items like the ones you might be in the market for can be found on Király utca between Déak tér and Nagymező utca. I can specifically remember window shopping a particular design lighting place on the corner of Kertész utca and Király. For the common man there is an area on the Róbert Károly körut (part of the Hungaria ring road) where there is a number of different furniture places. Kika is there as well, but a couple of the places larger places, Domus and Sconto are now gone. I remember spending a lot of time furniture shopping in that area but I found wasn't all that great.

USA
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Furniture / Decoration in Budapest

A lot of my furnishings came from shops on Kiraly as well. There is also a fairly new home design shop on Vasvari Pal near Kiraly.

Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Furniture / Decoration in Budapest

Thank you all for your advice...

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
197 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Furniture / Decoration in Budapest

Budapest Design Week

2012.09-28 - 10.07

http://www.designhet.hu/en/program/20

Slow Design – Slow down! is the imperative of Budapest Design Week 2012. We try to present designers and communities that have to some extent succeeded in finding their own answers, or are on the road to cultural, social and economic sustainability. The festival's guest of honour is Finland – Fiskars Village. The small, magical Finnish village was a Slow Life phenomenon even before the concept itself was conceived. In the past two decades a new quality that is attractive and emblematic even for the world at large was created in Fiskars Village building upon local values and resources, traditions, craftsmanship and the strength of small communities. The settlement developed by artists does not only introduce its applied arts and design values for the Hungarian public, but thanks to a pop-up restaurant brought to Budapest for an entire month we can taste its gastro culture, as well.

This year the festival opening exhibition presents the most recent developments related to Slow Design with the help of recent, international design works, most of which have won prestigious awards. The more than 80 creations selected from 12 countries offer sometimes individualist responses to the most urging social and ecological issues.

7. Re: Furniture / Decoration in Budapest

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:19 am, December 15, 2013