We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budapest currency exchange

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
Save Topic
Budapest currency exchange

Is it better to exchange money in London before I get to Budapest, or better to change in Budapest and if so, in a bank or kiosk.

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,665 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budapest currency exchange

tinawim,

This has been discussed to death here.

Check the 'Top Questions' at the upper RHS of tis page. (Or the answers to at least one other recent post.)

The short answer is - NO - do not get all the forints you think you will need in London. Also do NOT get them at the airport or at your hotel.

Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Budapest currency exchange

My husband and I are currently in Budapest visiting family, and we went to change our money @ a place called inter change money exchange (an orange colour board, with a western union logo on it). Kindly BE WARNED OF THEM..... since their exchange rates are considerably lower than that of other exchange offices.

for example: their rate today (02/01/12) was 1 Euro = 247 HUF, compared to 1 Euro = 310 HUF in another exchange office, which was right next door.

The online exchange rate that day was 1 Euro = 314.

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD ANYONE EXCHANGE THEIR FOREIGN CURRENCY AT THIS OFFICE.

Also make sure that you check online rates before you exchange foreign currency at any office... other than this hic hup Budapest is beautiful

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
7,539 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Budapest currency exchange

That is absolutely correct: INTERCHANGE is routinely higher than any of the other exchange bureaux and is comparable to exchanging at the airport

not a surprise, i suppose, as they run the airport exchange booth as well

both should be avoided ...

there is some variation among the other bureaux, but it is not consistent and except for INTERCHANGE it is impossible top say which will be best or worst on any given day; the Top Question that odd one mentions will give you a simple rule of thumb for selecting among them

4. Re: Budapest currency exchange

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 5:35 pm, March 02, 2014
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Budapest currency exchange

Hello, based on my experience, my advice is that NEVER EVER change your currency at "Interchange" Offices.

They give us around 22000 HUF less with their currency rate exchange.

I know it's my fault because I didn't notice it but in my opinion such amount of money is a huge difference compared to other exchange companies and it should be not allowed by laws.

They bought my euros at 220HUF when official change was around 278HUF, so I lost 58HUF per Euro.

London
Level Contributor
2 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Budapest currency exchange

If travelling from the UK, is there any benefit in taking Euros in cash, rather than sterling?

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,665 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Budapest currency exchange

EalingOtterman

Nope. If you're taking cash, take sterling and exchange it for forints in Budapest.

Orange Co., CA
Level Contributor
185 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Budapest currency exchange

New to Europe & after the recent death of my husband, am totally confused about how and where to exchange $s for the forints in Budapest. Would it be best to do it in the us before I leave? Thank you for any help you can provide.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Budapest currency exchange

Hello Moltenled

You will be better served waiting to exchange your US dollars to Forints (HUF) when you arrive in Hungary (but NOT at the airport exchange I add)

Additionally here is an overview for exchanging currency in Budapest it is a bit long winded and prolix but if you skim it you will get a good idea. tripadvisor.com/Travel-g274887-c183000/Budap…

Enjoy your trip

SEBESZ

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
2,508 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Budapest currency exchange

I am going to chime in and probably be roasted for doing so. Because I am in immediate need of florints to pay my apartment rent when we get to Budapest I buy them at our local Wells Fargo Bank here in Phoenix. Which I have been criticized for doing but it is most practical for me. Thereafter for any other amounts of florints I need, I use a local ATM at a bank. I also like in Budapest that some banks have the ATM machines inside a booth that requires you to slide your ATM card to gain access, and usually only allows one person in at a time. If I were staying in a hotel, then i would not bring any more florints beyond those needed to pay for a taxi from the airport. If I were staying in a hotel I would use my credit card and would not be in need of immediate cash.