We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

restaurants with gipsy music at budapest-citadel

Lugano, Switzerland
Level Contributor
251 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
restaurants with gipsy music at budapest-citadel

from bruno/lugano. 11.8.2010. I have heard that the citadel offers a phantastic view at night. thus, I should like to go there (during my 1 week stay in budapest) and have dinner in a nice typical hungarian restaurant with gipsy music, at acceptable prices. any suggestion? thank you for the tips.

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
2,889 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: restaurants with gipsy music at budapest-citadel

hungaryinside.hu/uploads/…6_2citadella.jpg

There is a restaurant, but you might not see much from there. I dont know if it is good or not, if it is expensive or not...or if it still exists or not, as there were some "scandals" about the area.

London, United...
Level Contributor
234 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: restaurants with gipsy music at budapest-citadel

If there is such a place it's going to be a "tourist rip-off" so be warned!!

Restaurants with gypsy music are stricktly for the tourists not locals, but I guess you must realise this.

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
7,763 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: restaurants with gipsy music at budapest-citadel

As has been said the only way in which such a restaurant is typically Hungarian is in the touristy theme park sense - the way disneyworld serves typical american food - having said that there is a very good restaurant not terribly far I think from the area - Busulo Juhasz - pricey but first rate music, excellent food, pleasant garden surroundings - and though costly for Budapest, surely worth the prices

USA
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: restaurants with gipsy music at budapest-citadel

I usually leave the food up to John our resident Foodie, but you guys don’t want tourists to be tourists. They are Budapest for goodness sakes. Let them enjoy it a little. Not far away on Paulay Edie ut are two restaurants; Vak Varjú Étterem with a piano player most nights all night (not gypsy but its about the music)

caboodle.hu/nc/…

and across the street Bohemtanya which from time to time does have a violinist (yes gypsy).

caboodle.hu/nc/…

The food in both places is okay, the service is good and the experience is worth it. Tourists show up in both places, but neither is really a tourist restaurant. We go to one or the other from time to time because its close to the apartment, reasonably priced and it’s about the music.

For more upscale go to Belcanto's for the opera singer and the singing waiters. Its fun. Yup, its toursit, but its fun. Don’t be ashamed and the food is really very, very good. And no its not outrageously priced.

Don’t be so sophisticated that you miss the fun.

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
7,763 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: restaurants with gipsy music at budapest-citadel

I thought the OP was looking for a place in the Buda hills with wonderful traditional Hungarian food, a gypsy violinist, and the extras from Shop Around the Corner dining at nearby tables with the headwaiter from Rick's Cafe Americain in Casablanca waiting on his table. This is not meant as parody - not only do such places exist, but there was a time when that's the sort of place that Hungarians living abroad all yearned for and missed. Those were the restaurants that tumbled over each other in my childhood in Yorkville in New York, where Elemer Horvath played nightly at the Emke, and the Budapest had a cimbalom playing behind the heavily accented English of customers and waitstaff alike.

Sweet butter (unheard of in the USA at the time) and paprika and kecso flowed like water...

But sixty years of plowing Hungarian cuisine into the ground has made the turkey (unknown in hungarian cooking in 1935, and unimaginable - poultry without fat, a Magyar zoological impossibility) the national culinary bird. Thick cheese sauces coating breaded and deep-fried indeterminate meats were unknown. And it drove the country's notions of 'traditional' Hungarian cooking in the direction of an entirely new range of comfort foods. And for whatever reason it relegated the Roma violinist to the tourist hotels and restaurants.

So, now one has to choose between a place like Vak Varju - the reincarnation of the wonderfully quirky Vista restaurant, a spinoff of a travel agency down the block, with such weird touches as a lounge with facilities like those of the lobby of a railway station hotel, and a menu and waiters out of central casting. A friend and I were praising it just this evening as we ate at a more characteristically neighborhood "Hungarian" meal in a french restaurant near Kodaly Korund. And places where Hongariabs really gather to eat Hungarian dishes, like the Pozsonyi Vendeglo or Alfoldi, which lack the view and the music and the tourists.

Edited: 9:04 pm, August 12, 2010
USA
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: restaurants with gipsy music at budapest-citadel

Like i said, John is the resident foodie. Go where he suggests. I even get suggestions from him.

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
7,763 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: restaurants with gipsy music at budapest-citadel

no, no, don't do what i day ... i didn't mean that at all ... my only point was that in Budapest one generally has to choose between the romantic, scenic, cinematic vision of a 1930's hungarian bistro -- which exist and are frequented almost entirely by tourists) and eating in modest less picturesque places where the locals eat (which exist, tend to tilt toward a more indeterminate form, of heavy post-1950 central European cooking but also serve traditional fare, and are frequented, by definition, by locals)...

so you takes your pick between the two - personally i have been to Busulo Juhasz once, and enjoyed it but have not gone back (but would happily do so if a guest wanted that sort of a meal) ... i have been to Vak Varju several times, and always keep it in mind as an option

what i would really like to do is try out the jazz venue owned by the same people, apparently downstairs under the Viszta Travel agency on the corner ... you enter through the travel agency i think

but it's about the jazz, not a place for dinner

USA
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: restaurants with gipsy music at budapest-citadel

No, really, John, you know more about this sort of thing than i do. Not a problem at all. I make notes of where you send people so we can try them as well. Thanks for the help.

USA
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: restaurants with gipsy music at budapest-citadel

John, twice now i have gone to the jazz club you spoke of. Its got a good reputation and twice it's been empty with no music. I guess i just hit it on off days. They do have a website but the last time i looked the schedule wasn tup to date.

10. Re: restaurants with gipsy music at budapest-citadel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, February 10, 2011