We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

budapest airport to szeged

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
south wales uk
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
budapest airport to szeged

there are 9 of us arriving in Budapest airport on sunday 25/07/10 and we need to get to szeged. How do we get to the train station and what train do we get.

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
53 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: budapest airport to szeged

Hello!

Which Terminal are you arriving (T1 or T2), and when?

If you arrive to T1, you can get a train to Budapest-Nyugati, the trains to Szeged are departing from there.

If you arrive to T2, then I think your only option to get a cab to Budapest-Nyugati.

The train ticket to Szeged costs 3.720 Ft/person. This is a second class ticket, and the seat reservation is also included (the train is an InterCity trains, which means the seat reservation is mandatory). You can book your ticket in advance @ www.mav-start.hu.

The trains are leaving Nyugati at every hour :53 (for ex: 09:53, 10:53) and the journey takes 2 hours and 22 minutes.

Edited: 5:27 am, July 07, 2010
Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
53 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: budapest airport to szeged

BTW you can also get a cab from T1 as well... All the taxi companies (the official ones) have special, flat fare prices from the airport to Budapest.

south wales uk
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: budapest airport to szeged

Thank you we are arriving at terminal 2B

south wales uk
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: budapest airport to szeged

We are arriving in Budapest at 12.45 how long does it take to get from the airport to train station and what platform do we need for szeged

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
7,617 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: budapest airport to szeged

if your plane is scheduled to land at 12:45 and you have no checked bags, give yourself 75-90 minutes to arrive at Nyugati ...so, 2-2:30pm; if you check bags, add 30 minutes...

With 9 people you may need 3 taxis, or a van and a tax, or perhaps a shuttle bus. You can try to book in advance with the Zona Taxi service or with the airport shuttle.

bud.hu/english/…by_taxi

bud.hu/english/…by_minibus

or you can ask an individual driver to coordinate the trip for you with a van plus a taxi or three taxis...we use Alajos Pulai (pulai31@gmail.com)...he has access to colleagues with a van and to other taxis and has been quite effective coordinating group pickups for us when we have needed them

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
53 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: budapest airport to szeged

You need at least 30-45 minutes (depending on traffic) to get to the airport to Budapest-Nyugati. Add an extra 30 minutes at the airport to get your luggages, and to find a taxi (of course you can call the taxi when you get your packages, as far as I know the major taxi comanpies's dispatchers are speaking English). So you can safely reach the 14:53 train. Regarding the platform: I don't know, but you can check that at the station.

If you book your tickets in advance (this way you can save time, but you have to be sure that you'll be on that train because of the seat reservation) - you'll pay your ticket in advance, too and after that you'll get a confirmation number. You can grab them at the station, too. There's a machine, which prints your tickets. You just have to enter your confirmation number, that's all.

One more thing: as your arrive with your friends, consider checking www.airportshuttle.hu. They're offering a minivan transport, so you can travel together. Their price for 9 people is 14500 HUF.

Edited: 6:47 am, July 07, 2010
south wales uk
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: budapest airport to szeged

Thanks for the info. I think it will be best if we buy the train tickets when we get there just incase of delays. I will certainly look at airportshuttle.hu as we would prefer to travel together because 5 of the group are teenagers and I would not want to lose them. We are coming back to Budapest on 01/08/10 and staying 3 days in Danubius health spa hotel is it far from the airport

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
53 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: budapest airport to szeged

Which One? The Helia Conference hotel, or the grand hotel Margitsziget? If Margitsziget, then it's two tram stops from Nyugati Station (and a bit of walk on the island).

Edited: 8:22 am, July 07, 2010
Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
606 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: budapest airport to szeged

Hm, I have to disagree with almost everything above unfortuantely.

1. All trains from Nyugati to Szeged stop at Ferihegy T1. Do not go to Nyugati - it's a waste of time and money. You can get to T1 from T2B by bus (the number used to be 200 but I haven't used it recently - there is only one bus line to T2 and that is it) There is only a ticket machine at T1 train stop where you can try to buy a ticket to Szeged but if you can't you can buy it on the train from the inspector without a penalty fee. Make sure you get cash (HUF!) at the airport.

2. Attila, how exactly you imagine them buying tickets online on a website that's only available in Hungarian - a language they do not speak?

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
606 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: budapest airport to szeged

And also, trams do not currently stop at Margitsziget because of the works on the bridge...