We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 days in Budapest or can I make a side trip to Krakow

Gothenburg
Level Contributor
43 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
4 days in Budapest or can I make a side trip to Krakow

I'm planning to be in Budapest this April. I will arrive 10 Apr, and my flight back is on 14 Apr afternoon. Are 4 days in Budapest too much or I can make a sidetrip to somewhere else like Krakow?

Is Krakow worth to drop by for a day or two? and What is the best mean of transportation to get there from Budapest?

Any city in hungary that I can drop by for one or two days trip?

Thanks,

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
8,410 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 days in Budapest or can I make a side trip to Krakow

There are very few absolutes when it comes to traveling, but i personally think that it's impossible to see both Budapest and Krakow within a 4 day trip. The travel time alone will turn that functionally into no more than 3 days total. I would stay within Budapest the entire time, allowing an afternoon, or even two in one of the baths, a full day to explore Buda, and so on ...

2. Re: 4 days in Budapest or can I make a side trip to Krakow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:30 pm, August 17, 2011
Gothenburg
Level Contributor
43 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 days in Budapest or can I make a side trip to Krakow

Thanks...

Cuz I will arrive from Bratislava and Vienna, so just thinking about where can I drop by.

Seems, other city in Hungary seem more reasonable, or either spend half a day in bath like your recommendation.

Cheers

4. Re: 4 days in Budapest or can I make a side trip to Krakow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:30 pm, August 17, 2011
Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
3,335 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 days in Budapest or can I make a side trip to Krakow

Hi sjearkit,

"Krakow" in your post heading caught my eye. It's a gem. One of the best small towns of Central/Eastern Europe. Great history, great outdoor scene, relaxed atmosphere, etc. But......as John and Budapesting noted - combining both Budapest and Krakow across 4 days would be a waste. Although relatively close on a map, the roads between the two cities are 95% two lane - resulting in a 6-hourish car ride (longer of course by bus and train).

See Krakow on your next trip. Combine with Zakopane if you enjoy the outdoors. The Danube Bend is fine. A day trip to Vienna is also popular (train - 3 hours each way).

Good planning.

Jeremy

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,794 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 days in Budapest or can I make a side trip to Krakow

If Pecs strikes your fancy, check out the Top Questions on Pecs.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
6,093 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 days in Budapest or can I make a side trip to Krakow

Jeremy how would you compare Budapest to Prague?

Gothenburg
Level Contributor
43 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 4 days in Budapest or can I make a side trip to Krakow

Thanks guys...

Already decided not to waste my time on travelling to Krakow; probably next time.

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
448 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 4 days in Budapest or can I make a side trip to Krakow

Having been last year to both Krakow and Budpest I would recommend you take longer than the 4 days, both places are fantastic and to enjoy both I would say at least 4 days in each.

As mentioned Zakopane is beautiful,the journey there gives you the opportunity to see Polish countryside. I can't wait to return later this year.

We stayed 4nights in Budapest in Oct and are returning as feel we only had the time to do a quarter of the things we wanted to do, the city is much larger than I first thought.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
3,335 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 4 days in Budapest or can I make a side trip to Krakow

Hi luggageinhand,

Talk about opening Pandora's box! The question of Budapest vs. Prague is a lively discussion and has been a frequent topic here. I recall sharing detailed thoughts of "Prague vs. Budapest" some time ago in a post - but couldn't find it across a quick search. Maybe you'll have better fortune.

Here are some highlights in a nutshell - and keep referring back to the post - as undoubtedly, others will have their thoughts as well. :)

Sights and City in General

- Prague's main tourist area is fairly compact (and usually quite crowded) and easily walkable for the most part with a good public transportation system

- Budapest is a larger city in area and the sights are spread-out distributing the tourists, therefore not having one compact area like Prague. Budapest also has an excellent transportation system

- Both cities, layout wise have a lot in common - river runs through the heart, classical architecture, castle/palace on hillside of river, etc.

- Prague's center is well-kept, while Budapest was heavily impacted by WWII and still remains a bit "dirty" in the corners if you will

- Prague has a clear "beer" connection - which I like because the local Budvar and Pilsner Urquell is worth the trip for me! Budapest also has a beer/cafe/wine culture which is enjoyable

I could go on and on. I live in Budapest, so I am a bit biased. However, I would select Budapest for one primary reason. When in Prague, I am overwhelmed by the number of tourists - I feel as I am 1 of 10,000. I don't get that feeling in Budapest - likely because of the sights being spread around. I have a Budapest overview I share with visiting friends and family. If you'd like a look, ping me by personal message.

Thanks

Jeremy