We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 Days in Budapest Mid Feb. What to do?

Louisiana
3 posts
5 Days in Budapest Mid Feb. What to do?

Staying at the Four Seasons mid Feb. What to do. What to see. And where to go to eat, drink and be merry.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
13,201 posts
64 reviews
1. Re: 5 Days in Budapest Mid Feb. What to do?

Do some searching, using keywords that interest you such as 'museum' and 'restaurant'.

Read a book called 'Only in Budapest' by Duncan J Smith for a more detailed breakdown on what to see and where to see it.

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
8,410 posts
10 reviews
2. Re: 5 Days in Budapest Mid Feb. What to do?

start with the Four Seasons itself - the restoration is as good as any in the city; and the restaurant is very strong - although the executive chef (simone cerea, from tuscany i think, and a very good guy) is not hungarian, last i knew, the sous chef was

as romancitizen suggests (more indirectly perhaps), questions framed at this level of generality are very difficult to answer; TA has lots of resources including archived forum answers but also all those links on the left, and it is likely that you'll get the most useful responses by mining these and other asources first and then asking the questions they generate

Louisiana
3 posts
3. Re: 5 Days in Budapest Mid Feb. What to do?

Thanks for that. I will traveling alone on buisiness, but will have plenty of time to enjoy the city. Information on recommended Hungarian restaurants would be great. Perhaps one with a good wine list. I am not in Budapest looking to eat steak or Mexican food! Also any help with finding a good bar that serves a good drink and I can smoke a cigar inside. Cigar bar maybe? I would prefer not to have to stand out in the snow and smoke. And will the Hungarian Opera be open in February? Where can I find their February schedule? Appreciate any and all info on the above.

Thanks again,

John

budapest
Level Contributor
449 posts
1 review
4. Re: 5 Days in Budapest Mid Feb. What to do?

Hi,

almost all restaurants in Bp let you smoke inside, sometimes they might ask you to move to bar to smoke a cigar.

Opera is very much in season in Feb, you can (and i recommend to do it) buy the tickets online from here: jegymester.hu/ENG/…Programme-by-date

The site works very well and you can actually print your ticket home already.

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
8,410 posts
10 reviews
5. Re: 5 Days in Budapest Mid Feb. What to do?

Wine restaurants that you might like include Klassz, Borbirosag, Bock Bisztro. The bar at the Gresham is excellent and pricey. Cigars are (from my vantage point as an adjacent diner, disturbingly) welcome in almost all restaurants. Nearer to the Gresham you might enjoy Stand Bisztro, Cafe Kor, Mokka, Dio...

The concierge desk at the Gresham is actually quite excellent in making recommendations in the immediate environs, though I'm told that they are one of the ones that accept commissions from restaurants for referrals (actually far from all do)...they recommend Rezkakas, a very good but somewhat exclusively-touristy upmarket traditional hungarian restaurant. I would tend to tip the scale toward Muzeum kavehaz in that category myself...In Buda, Csalogany 21 is worth the trip.

My own favorite in the city is Cafe Bouchon, comfortable, excellent food, warm service, more locals than Cafe Kor with far less pressure and crowding than the latter, very near the opera (as is Klassz).

If you start to zero in a bit, i'm sure i and others can chime in with more detail about specific places...

Louisiana
3 posts
6. Re: 5 Days in Budapest Mid Feb. What to do?

Thank you for all of your advice and recomendations. Very helpfull. I will get my opera ticket online. Thanks for the tip.I enjoy walking these old cities. So I hope to find good places to eat and have a cocktail within walking distance from the Four Seasons. Then I will head out farther afield via Taxi or whatever else happens to be passing by at the moment. What about on the other side. The castle side. Is there a restauraunt up there with a nice view?

Malaga
Level Contributor
294 posts
175 reviews
7. Re: 5 Days in Budapest Mid Feb. What to do?

As I have an interest in visiting Budapest in the near future, I have picked up the following information from a waitress in a michelin restuarant.

To shop, West End shopping centre.

To dine Dio, Mokka or Verne restuarants. (Pest)

To party Jam pub in Mamhut shopping centre.(Buda).

Has anyone visited these?

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
8,410 posts
10 reviews
8. Re: 5 Days in Budapest Mid Feb. What to do?

A Michelin restaurant where? What an odd, disparate, and largely useless set of recommendations...

The West End Mall is indeed a shopping mall, like those throughout the world, only smaller than many. There are several others in Budapest, each with its own pluses and minuses if one is a mall aficionado, and the West End is fine but not overwhelmingly special or distinctive.

Dio and Mokka are trendy Budapest restaurants from about two trends ago (the one that was started by TomGeorge, which recently closedbecaiuse it no longer could draw its beautiful people mainstay clientele...morphing into an Italian place). Food is good, decor garish to my tastes, prices comparatively high. Euroglitz. Verne is simply tourist-driven but, I'm told decent food. None would be on my Top 10 list, or near it. And indeed none is on the Chew.hu Top 33. http://www.chew.hu/top33.html

To party? Not my specialty, buit depending on what you do when you party there are roughly 2000 better choices i believe (and I suspect they mean the Mammut shopping mall...I would grab a copy of Funzine on arrival annd pore through the pub and club listings to see what suits. It's the best of the giveaway listing magazines in English.

budapest
Level Contributor
449 posts
1 review
9. Re: 5 Days in Budapest Mid Feb. What to do?

Actually neither of Mokka or DIo are my favourites either (and it must be several years ago when i dined in either one) but i know lot of people who like them a lot. In terms of design, it is matter of taste (actually i like the guy who did those).

In terms of party, Jam pub actually is one of the best places to go if you like kind of relaxed but still a bit upscale place, but be warned, it can get very busy indeed, you can hardly walk there, it has almost all evenings live music as well. If you want to get to know some local people, it is good place to go. If you want to have a place where to enjoy nice discussion with friends, look somewhere else (shouting is the way of communication) and it is smoky...

In terms of partying Mammuth is not that bad (it is much better than you would think of a shopping mall), it has also one of the most trendy clubs at the moment called TAO but that is totally different than Jam.

In terms of nightlife BP is absolutely amazing, everything from alternative places to most amazing techno clubs in the world. People come to most places quite late.

Malaga
Level Contributor
294 posts
175 reviews
10. Re: 5 Days in Budapest Mid Feb. What to do?

Thankyou for your comments.

Please share your information in this forum and tell us what are your 10 top restuarants in Budapest and when you visited them.