We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budapest at New Year

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lancashire
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Budapest at New Year

My wife and I are considering visiting Budapest for New Year. How is new year celebrated in Budapest, fireworks, outdoor concerts etc. Is it a good idea to visit at New Year or is it better to leave it until it warms up again.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
431 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budapest at New Year

From my research last year THE place to be seen is the grand ball at the opera house. Looks fab but very expensive.

We went the weekend after new year this jan (2005) and it was really beautiful. I'm told it was very mild as it was about 10 deg most days and the sun was out, but we were lucky.

We stayed in the Hilton Castle District. Booking in advance saves a fortune and the room was huge. A very nice hotel but you have to walk down the hill to see most things and back up it every evening (and its HUGE !)

Plus points to going at that time ofyear. The christmas trees and decorations are lovely. Its very quiet, only you two and a few other people at any of the tourist sights. So very romantic. Sunset over the Danube is beautiful but it does get dark early (like Lancs really)

Overall very quiet but very atmospheric and very very beautiful. For us it was so nice to just be there without throngs of tourists and we were blessed with the weather as it wasn't too cold, or foggy we got excellent views from the top of Gellert mount and the palace area.

My advice, GO its a gorgeous city, we didn't have any problems at all and I loved it even more than Paris.

newcastle
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Budapest at New Year

Its well worth a trip over christmas or new year. They lay on loads of stuff for visitors and while the weather can be cold it is generally not raining. Experience the outdoor spa experience at szechenyi baths, go to the opera, great restaurants etc, etc... There are worse places to be. For great accomodation, check out www.budapestlets.com. The raday aprtment is high quality !

Nottingham, England
Level Contributor
34 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Budapest at New Year

My boyfriend and I are also going to Budapest for New Year but certainly can't afford the opera house ball! Do you know if there are any cheaper street parties/fireworks over the river etc? Will it be necessary to book a meal and purchase tickets for bars as you would need to in the UK on NYE?

Budapest
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Budapest at New Year

heieup :) I had to laugh, why did you have to walk up and down from Buda Hill (Hilton)? The bus goes up there every 5 minutes.

Draffster - Outdoor concerts all along Andrassy, Vorosmarty Ter, Nyugati and probably several other places. Come and enjoy it.