We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Watch Out for TGV Tours

Italy
Level Contributor
22 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Watch Out for TGV Tours

I was in Budapest last week and had pre-booked a sightseeing tour w/TGV and airport transfer (outbound). They were supposed to pick me up at the hotel at 1330 for the tour and never showed. While I was walking toward the Danube I saw their offices and went in to inquire...where I was told that they cancelled the afternoon tours because of a parade. I then tried to confirm and pay for my airport transport but was told the phone number was busy. They told me not to worry, my booking had been made and I could simply stop in the next day to pay. Well, when I stopped in to pay (about 6 hours before my flight) they told me that they couldn't find my reservation (even after I produced the E-mail traffic between me and their company) and that there was simply nothing they could do since the service was now fully booked. I was forced to take a cab to the airport...~4000Huf more than the shuttle would have been. I suggest you book directly w/Airport Minibus for transport and find another tour company for sightseeing. I ended up touring Budapest w/just my guidebook and did fine.

Culinary Hungary Home Cooking Class and Market Tour
Sightseeing Tours, Cooking Classes, Food Tours
Cold War Private Tours Budapest
Walking Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, City Tours
Guidehungary - Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours
Guide Hongrie
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Omaha, NE
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Watch Out for TGV Tours

Hey -

It seems you have much experience in Eastern Europe. I'm into Vienna in October and then over to Venice for the marathon - any places to see / avoid? Slovakia? Slovenia? I'm traveling by myself & want to get the most out of my 10 day holiday.

THANKS!!!

Larry

Mentioned in this post
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Budapest
Level Contributor
118 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Watch Out for TGV Tours

Sorry, you've had a bad experience - you ran into a typical Hungarian service provider who hates the fact that they are providing a service and not there to do favors. Since coming to Hungary, I've been able to make a great living by providing foreigners CUSTOMER SERVICE that we've come to expect living in the west. It is stressful enough to be away from home even for the most adventurous - and not everyone is adventurous :)

The Airport Minibus is your best bet coming into the city - they are efficient, the price is right and it is a comfortable ride. Get round trip tix you save a dollar or two that way. Be sure to reserve your return pick-up 24 hrs. in advance! They are punctual, so BE AT THE CURB when they tell you because they will leave.

I've teamed with another expat who arrived in Hungary 10 years ago and offers custom tours - within Budapest, the countryside or the surrounding countries. He is a jolly fellow and will go out of his way to help make your trip a pleasant memory.

Mentioned in this post
Hungary
Hungary
Europe
Italy
Level Contributor
22 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Watch Out for TGV Tours

Larry from Omaha - I'm simply an American living in Italy for a few years...Eastern Europe was a must see for me. I'm off to Vienna in November so please post your comments when you get back! Haven't been to Slovakia but highly recommend Slovenia. It's cheap (compared to Italy at least) and Lake Bled is especially beautiful. Poland (Cracow in particular) is my favorite stop in Europe so far.

Mentioned in this post
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Poland
Poland
Europe