We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

recommendations

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
recommendations

my partner and i have just returned from a fantastic few days in budapest. we stayed at the hotel victoria which i can't recommend highly enough. clean large room, right on the river, with a huge window looking over the chain bridge and parliament. stunning view. when we arrived at the airport we jumped straight into a taxi outside the terminal and were at the hotel 20 minutes later - it cost 5900 - not as cheap as the airport shuttle but much simpler and quicker. we also didn't bother with the budapest card - there was no need - the hotel was so central we walked absolutely everywhere. we had some fantastic meals - two very good places were on the square in front of st stephen's basilica (which, by the way, was amazing inside) one was called leroy cafe - very funky decor, good food and cheap cocktails! the other place was called negro - very cool bar, great food and also very cheap drinks. neither would be out of place in london or new york - except for the price. we were drinking champagne cocktails for about ��1.50 each. we also went to the gellert baths a couple of times. fantastic. i was a bit worried it would be very confusing but it was all in english and easy. i did take my own towel and flip flops which was good. my partner had a thai massage and raved about it. i hope this helps someone. have fun!

England, United...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: recommendations

I agree about the Victoria. By no means plush, but clean, great value and extremely polite and helpful staff.

We were there for 3 nights, and I *do* recommend that you buy a travel card (approx ��6 GBP ) . Whilst the Castle District, Gellert Hill and Central pest are all within walking distance, being able to travel by metro, tram and train was invaluable to us in being able to get around in the short time we had there. Otherwise, we would probably have missed hings like Hero's square and the Szechenyi Baths for example, and some of the restaurants we had targeted during the course of the break. We did a lot of walking too and being able to get metro back to the hotel (more or less) without additional expense when you're caught at the wrong end of Vaci Utca was so neat.