We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to Stay?

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
115 posts
Save Topic
Where to Stay?

Hi,

I'm going to Budapest for 3 nights over New Year. Does anyone have any recommendations for what part of the city is best to stay in or any particular hotels and things to do and see?

Thanks

Jamie

Vienna, Virginia
Level Contributor
69 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to Stay?

The Intercontinental and the Marriott are both near the water, near most of the main attractions.

A good price alternative is the Mercure Korona.

Stay on the Pest side as that is where the bulk of the restaurants, bars, and attractions are.

Check with the US. Embassy in Budapest, the publish a list of bars, nightclubs to stay away from!!! These are establishments that run up charges on you and make you pay with their bouncer. Check some of the other posts in this forum and you will see it mentioned several times.

england
Level Contributor
570 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to Stay?

make sure you definatly stay in pest,if its the only advice you take,take it.we stayed in the budda side it was miles from restraunts bars etc,we had to take taxis daily which were expensive which spoilt uor trip

London, UK
Level Contributor
47 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to Stay?

If you're not looking for olde-worlde charm etc etc, some friends of mine stayed last week at the Meridien in Budapest. This is a big corporate style hotel right in the middle of town. It's clean, modern and the service was excellent. Also you can get some real cheap deals for this hotel on the web, but I suspect for NY Eve those might be less plentiful. Worth cehcking out, though. Wherever you stay, stay on the PEST side (see above). Most likely everything you'll be doing at night is on that side. You can hop over the river to BUDA on foot/tram during the day for sightseeing.

Some other tips, esepcially at Xmas/NY: Avoid the taxis - use the public transport, or walk. Avoid the touristy area around the market/main street leading back up to the Basilica. You'll get accosted by touts every 50 yards - ignore or just grin at them, but don't go into their club/bar/restaurants, you will be ripped off. There are loads of more appealing eateries/bars around - take a little time to find them.

Hertfordshire.Uk
Level Contributor
43 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to Stay?

Just stayed at the NH hotel excellant value and service

Budapest
Level Contributor
118 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to Stay?

It is not too early to begin looking for holiday accommodations and make sure you understand that there is a premium being charged during the holidays (the same way there is during the Formula 1 race).

You might consider vacation rental apartments. www.BudapestResources.com has a nice selection of downtown rental properties that will cost you about the same as a hotel or less and you have an apartment.

Concerts and theater are traditional with the Hungarians, the flashiest show in town is the Opera Ball where you meet the Who's Who list for Europe so make sure you are dressed appropriately.

Street parties are along the river, Nyugati train station and along Andrassy u. there are at least 2 stages each year. All of these are free! Vaci u. is noisy and full of tourists but if you are on your way to the river - enjoy the sights.

Christmas Eve is family time - that means public transportation ceases early afternoon - it was a nasty surprise for me the first year. :)

If you need a taxi - especially during the holidays or evenings - CALL for one, do NOT get one from the ones presenting themselves. They are private cabs and will charge and arm and a leg and a pint of blood too if you are not careful.

I believe this year I've seen a dinner and concert combination on a boat - which should be a nice celebration.

Be sensible, be safe - DO NOT FLASH money in public, and even if you are lost, don't take your map out and look lost. Sit and have some coffee and get regrouped. I've been so lost several times in my life in various foreign cities and looked and walked as if I lived there - until I had a chance to stop and check. Public transportation is a great way to see the city comfortably - especially in cold weather AND it will always bring you back (eventually) to the same palce, so you won't get lost.