We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help please!!! Budapest for a hen weekend?

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
418 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Help please!!! Budapest for a hen weekend?

I am considering going to budapest for my hen weekend next may, and just wanted to know if this is a good idea or not, as I don't know of it as being a popular hen destination, and can't see many topics related on the forums. There will probably be about 8-10 of us, and it would be FAIRLY civilised - we would like to see things in the day and go to some good nightclubs but no strippers/kissograms or anything like that. Is there a lot of other things to see in budapest apart from the spas? Is it safe for girls to go alone? is it very tourist friendly? Lauguage issues? Any other tips?

Would really like to do something a little different and cultured for my hen rather than just going to a beach resort in spain but dont know enough about budapest to know if it is ideal or not.

Any advice would be very much appreciated!

Thank you for your posts in advance!!!

talendon
Level Contributor
218 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Help please!!! Budapest for a hen weekend?

"Is there a lot of other things to see in budapest apart from the spas?" Of course. If you are in Budapest, you can't notice that you are in a spa-city. This is a big city with a lot of things to see&do. Besides these here are perfect spas, of course.

"Is it safe for girls to go alone?"

Absolutely.

"Is it very tourist friendly?"

What do you mean "very tourist friendly"?

More and more tourists visit Budapest every year, Budapest is a popular destination. But... While Budapest is an excitining and fabulous city, it isn't a pretty "Disneyland city" where everything is happening due to the tourism.

If I were a tourist in Budapest, I'm sure, I would enjoy it.

Yateley, United...
Level Contributor
310 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help please!!! Budapest for a hen weekend?

Hi there,

Me and my boyfriend went to Budapest for 3 days in January and we had a great time. We stayed in the Starlight Suiten hotels which I highly recommend, if you search my profile you will see my review which has more info on it.

We didnt have a problem with a language barrier and we didnt see anything that was deemed as trouble or unsafe areas.

We enjoyed walking around the palace, the bridges and other touristy spots, its a very beautiful city, especially at night. We also went to the Zoo which was nice. The shopping scene is also good.

We did however find a lack of nigthlife - we went to Prague in April for 3 days and we liked it as much as Budapest, maybe a little bit more as there was more of a nightlife scene... everyone assumes Prague is full of seedy strip joints but really there's only 1 area where this all goes on, avoid that area and you can still enjoy great nightlife.

Hope this helps.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
9,013 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help please!!! Budapest for a hen weekend?

There are no language issues, the Hungarians speak Hungarian fluently.

Seriously, you will have a great time (a spa to freshen up after a night out is a good idea), English is spoken in all tourist places, the National Gallery or the Museum of Fine Arts are good for a few hours if you want some culture.

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
606 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help please!!! Budapest for a hen weekend?

"Lack of nightlife"?? Maybe in January it's more difficult to find the places but in May the open-air places are open and there are lots of those.

London, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help please!!! Budapest for a hen weekend?

I've been to Budapest with work, on boys weekends and also with my family and found plenty to do on all occasions.

Very friendly people, good English spoken by most people under 40. There is a lot of fantastic sightseeing such as the Castle district, Hero's square, Gellert Hill, Margaret Island, Szentendre to name but a few.

In terms of spas my favourite is szechenyi which is a huge open air complex by Hero's square so you can kill two birds with one stone by going to szechenyi which has its own Metro or you can get off at Hero's square (Hosok tere) and walk across the square to szechenyi baths. Its also next to the city park, zoo and circus.

Nightlife is also fantastic and goes on until you want to leave. Its a fairly big City and is spread out all over the place so you do need to do some research before you start a night out. May can be hot. If the weather is good the busy clubs are the ones outside. Worth checking on forum's before you go or with the hotel or local English paper when in Budapest.

6. Re: Help please!!! Budapest for a hen weekend?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 am, October 08, 2009