We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budapest - what must we see and do

NORTHUMBERLAND
Level Contributor
36 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Budapest - what must we see and do

Never having been to Budapest before, what are the best things to see and do there. We are in our late fifties and we go 14 August.

1. Re: Budapest - what must we see and do

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:36 am, August 25, 2005
London
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Budapest - what must we see and do

Hi

We've just returned from Budapest - there was so much to see we just about crammed everything in.

I loved the State Opera house (tours only at 3pm and 4pm), St Matthias Church, Fisherman's Bastion, St Stephen's Basilica (which has a tower you can go up to see a panoramic view of the city) and Parliament (which you get in free if you show your EU passport - tours only at 10am, 12pm and 2pm) just to name a few.

I recommend you purchase the AA essential guide to Budapest - we used that on this trip and practically did everything that was in the book and we were only there for 5 nights!!

Hope this helps and have a wonderful time.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
3,536 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Budapest - what must we see and do

Just got back, I thought the baths were definitely a highlight, esp. if you have a hot day. Parliament was interesting and free for EU residents as mentioned above if you show your passport. The tours times didn't match the schedule though, we went on an English tour at 1 pm that wasn't advertised. Better yet, see if you can reserve ahead, the lines were long and disorganized.

St. Stephens on the pest side had a lovely view, make sure you take time and walk around the castle area on the Buda side to see the castle, fisherman's bastion, St. Mathias, etc.

Try some Hungarian cuisine, we really enjoyed Fatal on Vaci Utca (the big tourist shopping street), lunch was much less crowded than dinner.

And if you have several days, you might also do the Children's railroad trip, I thought it was a lovely way to spend the morning.