We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long to visit Budapest

Salinas
Level Contributor
2 posts
221 reviews
Save Topic
How long to visit Budapest

Hi,

My husband and I have always wanted to visit Budapest, and have decided to do so around September 2008 (with other trips and family reunions, this seems to be the best time to go). As I have some time to plan this, how long would everyone recommending going to Budapest for the first time (a weekend, 5 days, a week)? Is there some festival that I am going to be going in the middle of and need to book a hotel a year in advance for, or can I be a little more relaxed?

Thank you.

Italy/Alaska
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How long to visit Budapest

Unless you like to visit every museum and take lots of tours, 4 full days is a good amount of time.

Booking a year before.....well, I booked two days before I got there. I had no problem.

Boston...
Level Contributor
31 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How long to visit Budapest

I wish we would have had a week - there is ALOT to see and do plus there are a few side trips outside the city worth seeing. We also visited Prague on a recent visit - we would have spent less time in Prague, more time in Budapest if we did it over again.

London
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How long to visit Budapest

Hi

We've just come back from Budapest and spent 5 nights - practically 6 days there - and found that was just about enough time to cram in quite a lot of sights! (which we did) - but it depends on how fast or slow you like to do things - although I wouldn't have minded staying an extra day or two to do some day tours outside of Budapest.

Hope this helps

Toronto
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: How long to visit Budapest

Hi:

There are some Festivals and "Happenings" you should be aware off in case you want to book in the last minute...

The Spring Festival in Budapest is usually is from mid March to early April. This is a classical music festival that artist from around the world come to visit.

The Formula 1 auto racing in early Augst makes I impossible to find a hotel room.

Depending on the nature of your trip you can plan around some cultural events (art exhibitions, etc.) to time your stay. I think less than a week in Budapest is very pushing it if your plan is to get to know the city and its surrounding areas. Visegrad, Szentendre, Esztergom just a few of those "surrounding cities" that offer great possibilities for a visit.