We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Changing currency

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Newcastle
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Changing currency

Hi all,

I just phoned M&S currency exchange and they offered me 292 florints to the pound.

Is there a better place to get it exchanged? Whats the current rates in Budapest?

I am going a week on Thursday

Thanks so much

Budapest
Level Contributor
288 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Changing currency

It's best if you exchange it in Budapest. You will be able to compare rates if you walk around in the center. GBP rates have fallen recently, but I think it is still around 320 forints.

Bristol, UK
Level Contributor
70 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Changing currency

With the exchange rate so dreadful I took Sterling over with me last week and got an extra 20 huf to the pound (324) compared to 303 from UK exchanges. Definately worth it, but obviously there is more of a risk taking cash, travellers cheques would fair better too but not as good as cash.

One an even worse side I noticed the buy-back rate here is 350, so don't change too much!

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
9,013 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Changing currency

There are ATMs everywhere, if your card allows it draw out cash as required.

Hertford, United...
Level Contributor
612 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Changing currency

Just back from Budapest yesterday, 24th. Here's my advice:

Get a small amount here to get you to your hotel. The airport rates (UK and Budapest) are very low with hideous commission in the UK, less in Budapest. When there, the cash exchange rate is around 310 to the £ this week. Buy back rate was surprisingly good, compared with the UK, around 318-320. There are plenty of exchange booths around with similar rates and no commission.

The airport is flexible about payment in a mixture of euros and florints at duty free if you have some left, so maybe take any spare euros you have to 'mop up' your remaining forints. Staff were helpful in enabling tourists to use up their small change, and Easyjet took some on the plane too - passenger near me used his to buy coffee! In other words, don't bother exchanging any back.

5. Re: Changing currency

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:18 pm, September 25, 2009