We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do you have to bathe to see the baths?

Williamsburg...
Level Contributor
1,336 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Do you have to bathe to see the baths?

Thanks to everyone who answers this question. My friend and I are travelling to Budapest in 10 days. We are interested in architecture, and I understand that the baths are very beautiful. We are not, however, interested in actually bathing in the baths. Is it possible to see them without actually getting wet?

Budapest
Level Contributor
463 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do you have to bathe to see the baths?

This is a great question. I don't know for certain but I'll give my best guess.

With Szechenyi and Gellert baths you certainly would not be able to might not be able to get away with wearing street shoes inside. So some flip flops would be necessary. I'd figure that you might also have to somewhat dress the part as if you would be bathing because I believe they want everyone to shower down before entering the baths.

With Rudas, they have a required dress code of a loincloth and, if I remember correctly, they're not keen about people bringing in extra items if you're planning on taking pictures or sketching.

I have nothing to offer for advice about Kiraly except to read up on it before you go because the place has a "reputation."

I also have nothing to offer on Lukacs, but I don't think that place is of interest to architects.

Hopefully, someone else can be more definitive.

Milano
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Do you have to bathe to see the baths?

Unfortunately you need to enter the baths to visit them, otherwise you can't visit them.

I'm at your disposal should you need further details,

Margherita

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,227 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do you have to bathe to see the baths?

You can see the outside architecture of Szechenyi, Rudas and Gellert without going in, but the inside is so stunning, you should pay your entry and go in.

The above advice about dress/entry is good. One note, Rudas is men only most of the time, you should check the website for the exact details.

Also, cameras are very much frowned upon (though I have gotten away with it on one occasion).

But what no one has asked is why on earth you would want to skip the experience of the baths???!! It's 4 hours of heaven on earth!

Williamsburg...
Level Contributor
1,336 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do you have to bathe to see the baths?

Thanks for the responses. I was pretty sure of the answer, but you have all now confirmed my suspicion. Unfortunately, my travelling partner has a medical condition that precludes taking baths, even private ones, and I don't think I'd want to go alone for several hours. Maybe next time!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,227 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do you have to bathe to see the baths?

Oh gosh, I didn't mean to pry personally.. I had actually avoided the baths for months, just not knowing how awesome they are.

If you are in the City Park/Heroes Sq area, you can peek through a gate at the side of Szechenyi and get some idea. You can also enter part of Gellert by signing up for something like a pedicure.

Williamsburg...
Level Contributor
1,336 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do you have to bathe to see the baths?

Dear NYUSZI,

No problem. I would love to see the inside of the baths, but it will probably have to wait until I travel to Budapest with another travel partner. Thanks for the advice about the glimpse we can see...

Cheers.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
849 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do you have to bathe to see the baths?

visitor tickets ARE available in baths. 100% at gellért, but i think at szécheniy as well.

however it does not worth much. even the security guards usually says its like you would buy nothing. but these types of tickets are available, it just doesnt give you the enough entrances....

btw, if you go in at the side entrance of széchenyi (if you stand in front of the bath, its on the left side, if you go by metro, its the closest entrance to the metro stop), you can view even the pools from a window, without having to pay anything! but also check out the building inside from the main entrance, the lobby is really beautiful.

Williamsburg...
Level Contributor
1,336 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do you have to bathe to see the baths?

Thanks Budapest183. Will do!

9. Re: Do you have to bathe to see the baths?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 pm, September 22, 2009