We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budapest Card

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
stockport
Level Contributor
497 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Budapest Card

We are making our 1st trip to Budapest, staying in Buda at the Carlton Hotel. Can someone please answer my questions please.

1. Is it worthwhile getting the Budapest Card? Does it get us into attractions for free aswell?

2. Would it be advisable to get £30 worth of HUF in the UK to bring?

3. Can you just have a massage at a Spa? Or do you need to pay to use the pools? Can anyone reccommend a massage? Want to treat boyfriend, never had a proper 1 before.

I'm sure they'll be more questions, so thanks in advance. Taking plenty of thermals !!!

Hide
Travelers interested in this topic also viewed...
Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
9,518 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budapest Card

Do some searching before you post, as your question may already have been answered.

Yes, I would take £30 of HUF. There are ATMs at the airport (and all over the city) but if your flight is a late arrival and the ATMs at the airport are out of order then you will be stuck with the FX bureaux, and they give the worst rates.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
9,518 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Budapest Card

A lot of restaurants, incuding some of the best in town, don't take credit cards - cash only - chcek before you sit down........

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,687 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Budapest Card

Personally, I wouldn't get the Budapest Card unless I was spending a very short time in the city and couldn't really spare the time to get to a Metro station during ticket office opening hours and get a travel card. The reductions in price for attractions are really minimal (and many things are free anyway) and I find it hard to believe that one could possibly visit enough of them in the time alloted to make it worth one's while.

I agree with Roman Citizen on taking some HUF with you. At least enough to get into the city from the airport.

Liz

Haddington, United...
Destination Expert
for Haddington, East Lothian
Level Contributor
4,355 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Budapest Card

I Got a Budapest Card in Mid December and agree we would have been better with the Travel Card as the discout on entrance fees is very limited. I did a lot of reserch on exchange rates before we went and found 'Tavelex' in the UK was giving the best rate. you can order online to pick up at your departure airport & sell back any leftover on your return. if you order a 'Mixed' lot they give you some 200HUF (60p) so you have some small change for tipping. We found that if you were eating out it was practice to add 10-15% if paying with CC,

5. Re: Budapest Card

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 pm, September 16, 2009