We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
381 posts
119 reviews
Save Topic
Currency

Having read a few reviews can anyone advise what is the best currency to take. Should I purchase all my florints in UK or only a few and exchange pounds when I get there.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,740 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Currency

use an ATM...if you do a search on the forum you'll find more details.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
2,918 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Currency

Hi p.m.s.norton,

If your bank doesn't charge you an arm and a leg, use an ATM and bypass losing x% from a currency exchange. Hungarian Forints are used here, and most places do not barter in Euro's or Pounds. The exception may be the Market Hall and outdoor markets.

There is an ATM inside the luggage area at the airport as well as a couple in the main terminal. You will need roughly 5000 Forints (15ish Pounds) to get from airport to city center using a cab.

Happy travels. Enjoy the city.

Jeremy

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
381 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Currency

I had read on the forums that someone suggested using the exchange bureaux in Budapest to change pounds to florints as it was a better rate than in the UK.

Hungary
Level Contributor
134 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Currency

If you don't want to use ATMs, then you'd better exchange pounds in Hungary than exchange forint in UK. Don't change big amount at the airport. You get the worst rate there. You can find exchange bureau all over the city. If you want to get the best rate, then use the ATMs.

5. Re: Currency

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 pm, September 13, 2009