We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train to Prague from Budapest?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
39 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Train to Prague from Budapest?

Is a long train ride.. is it expensive ( do not want the overnight)..? Is it scenic?

Are there cheap flights from Budapest.. looked up attitudetravel.com for cheap flights in Europe but there don't seem to be any from Budapest ?

Mentioned in this post
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Europe
Europe
World
Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
298 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train to Prague from Budapest?

there is no cheap flight only coach and train.

overnight bus with www.eurolines.com

train is between 7 and 8 hours.

Linz
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train to Prague from Budapest?

No, going by train is cheap, especially in Hungary, Slovakia and the Czech Republic. If you like it very comfortable, chose 1st class.

Mentioned in this post
Linz
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train to Prague from Budapest?

For train timetable have a look for example at:

www.bahn.de ---> Internat. Guests

www.mav.hu .... Hungarian Railways

www.cd.cz ... Czech Railways

Montreal
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Train to Prague from Budapest?

I took the Jaroslav Hasek train which leaves early in the morning from Prague. You arrive in Budapest at 14 o'clock. The cost was 1368 CZK (44 EUR), just one way. It's better to buy two way ticket because it's just a little more exensive than one way. You can pay with the credit card both in Prague and Budapest, just watch for the Visa or MC sign because not all the cashier booths have it.

For the flights you can check easyjet. However I think it's not really worth it because you would have to pay also the cab. Also the train trip is nice.

In Prague the train leaves from Hlavni Nadrazi (hope I spelled it right) and arrives in Budapest at Nyugati train station. From there you can take the Metro.

Enjoy the trip.

Mentioned in this post
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary