We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurants

We are visiting Budapest in December, can anyone reccommend any good restaurants. We are staying at the Art'otel so if any are nearby thats a bonus.

Thanks

Laura

Mentioned in this post
art'otel budapest
art'otel budapest
2,934 Reviews
Budapest, Hungary
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
12,187 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants

Laura,

Check other postings on this site: JeremyFoy lives in Budapest so his recommendations are worth taking note of: I am a regular visitor (my wife and oldest son live there), my two recommendations are

Cafe Kor - has a website, about 7-8,000 forints per head (£25) for the top seat in town. Cash only, you need to book.

Hunyadi Kisvendeglo on Vorosmarty Utca, about 2,500 forints per head (£6-8), surroundings very basic and area is not salubrious BUT genuine Hungarian cuisine, absolutely delicious, only open 4 months, it is my son's favourite. Cash only.

Lots of restaurants are cash only, check before you sit down !

Mentioned in this post
Cafe Kor
Cafe Kor
1,793 Reviews
Budapest, Hungary
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Dublin
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants

I'm going to Budapest tomorrow, yay ;)

I've got lots of advice here on trip advisor so I'm looking forward to the cafes and restaurants (thanks everyone!). I hope to try Hunyadi Kisvendeglo and possibly Soul Cafe, will report back on wherever i go to.

I can't wait....this is my second visit but the last time was only two days while inter-railing so we missed an awful lot of the city.

Hopefully I can provide some good tips when i report back!

Mentioned in this post
Soul Cafe and Restaurant
Soul Cafe and Restaurant
520 Reviews
Budapest, Hungary
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
3,217 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants

Hello Ledonach,

Good selection for the Art'otel. Stayed there quite a few nights and enjoyed it very much so. Be sure to request a river view room, as the cool nights in December will surely be given a shot of warmth by the spendid view of the parliament and chain bridge from your room.

There are a couple of excellent restaurants close to your hotel. But, remember, you are only about a 5 minute walk from Batthany ter metro station that will send you into Pest in a matter of minutes to even more great restaurants. You may want to check some of my past posts for general restaurant suggestions (thanks Roman).

Now - close to Art'otel-

- Le Jardin de Paris. An excellent French restuarant on Fo utca (road that sits "behind" hotel) about a 3-5 minute walk. The food and service are both quite good, as is the wine list with french and Hungarian offerings. There is typically live jazz music as well - nothing overbearing, just nice background music. The menu is typical French with a nice selection of Pate's, meats, cheeses, etc.

- Belgian restaurant - there are a couple close to the hotel. The one I am speaking about (sorry - forgot the name) is to the right as you leave the hotel - literally about a one-minute walk. On the corner with large windows overlooking the river. May be nice on a cold day. Dishes are solid with a wide selection. Not a fancy place but good food for a good lunch.

If you would like, I have a write-up that shares many of my local favorites. If interested, send me your email address in a personal message.

Enjoy the city!

Jeremy

Mentioned in this post
art'otel budapest
art'otel budapest
2,934 Reviews
Budapest, Hungary
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
234 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants

I recommend the "Pannonia" restaurant on the corner of Pannonia and Radnoti Miklos, just a few blocks from both the Parliament or Nyugati station. They serve a huge selection of traditional Hungarian fare which is both hearty and delicious, and the prices are very low by Western standards. Our two soups, two main courses, vegetable side dish and bottle of good red wine came to under HUF 4000 (��11 GBP or 15 EURO). They are often busy, so perhaps drop by to book in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Parliament
Parliament
30,809 Reviews
Budapest, Hungary
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,384 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants

I really enjoyed M Restaurant which serves Hungarian food (a little lighter than probably straight-up Hungarian). But it was a very unusual space and the food was great. Cash only. And I second the Cafe Kor recommendation. Fabulous place too.

…nytimes.com/travel/…

Mentioned in this post
M. Restaurant
M. Restaurant
752 Reviews
Budapest, Hungary
Cafe Kor
Cafe Kor
1,793 Reviews
Budapest, Hungary
6. Re: Restaurants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:22 am, September 12, 2009