We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Now there's train service from Ferihegy (Term 1) to Nyugati!

Budapest
Level Contributor
395 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Now there's train service from Ferihegy (Term 1) to Nyugati!

Finally, the authorities have solved the problem for some travelers who find it difficult to get and from the airport with public transport:

MÁV Hungarian railways has launched a new rail service connecting Terminal 1 of Budapest Ferihegy airport with Nyugati station.

The 25-minute journey is charged at the normal, per-kilometer rate. A single ticket costs Ft 300 (€1.20) and trains run twice or three times an hour. MÁV is also planning to schedule InterCity trains traveling between Budapest and Cegléd via the airport.

---------

Just to emphasize, this is only for Terminal 1, where the budget airlines operate out of, not 2A (Malev) or 2B (int'l carriers).

This just started, so I'm not sure where one purchases the tickets at the airport.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
8,141 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Now there's train service from Ferihegy (Term 1) to Nyugati!

Hi

How far is it to travel between the terminals and how long has this service been running?

Jackie

Hungary
Level Contributor
101 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Now there's train service from Ferihegy (Term 1) to Nyugati!

www.bud.hu/english/press_room/releases/…

Bus No.200 schedule:

http://www.bkv.hu/busz/200.html

The journey takes 14 minutes between Terminal 1&2.

Hungary
Level Contributor
101 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Now there's train service from Ferihegy (Term 1) to Nyugati!

Train schedule:

http://www.elvira.hu/elvira.dll?language=2

To: Nyugati

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Now there's train service from Ferihegy (Term 1) to Nyugati!

Hello,

I'm going to be using this train tomorrow to get to the airport, so I'll let everyone know how it is when I get back (in one week). Thanks for all the information.

Budapest
Level Contributor
395 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Now there's train service from Ferihegy (Term 1) to Nyugati!

I haven't used this service yet, but an article in the Hungarian Economist magazine, HVG, has given this new service a bad review from their experience:

"...they could have wondered down to Nyugati station and bought a ticket to the airport. Admittedly, the ticket clerk would have scratched his or her head for a while before finally exclaiming: "Of course! Do you want to take the Monor train or the Szolnok one?" One departs from the station's central platforms, while the other goes from a distant siding - it's a matter of taste, perhaps. They have an uncertain timetable. Sometimes they leave every 10 minutes, at other times you have to wait half an hour. I chose the Szolnok train. It was hard, in that carriage full of honest working men and women, to spot anybody who looked like he was headed straight for Frankfurt or even further afield. And indeed - apart from me, only one young couple got off at Ferihegy - and they were sightseers like me.

On one side of the platform is a road leading to the airport, on the other you see the back gardens of a row of family houses. We head towards Ferihegy, climb a steep staircase, cross the bridge across the road. The stairway and the bridge are roofed over with white plastic....

Once across the Bridge of Sighs, the traveller has a choice. He can head to Ferihegy 1, the old airport, which is about 200m away, where the budget airlines fly from, or he can set off to Ferihegy 2, where the majority of flights take off and land. In this case, he has to wait for the 200 bus, which drops him off at the main entrance to the terminal. Of course, he might just as well have boarded this bus at Kobanya-Kispest metro station. Thinking about it, I realise that building a new station on an old, but modernised railway line has saved the traveller neither a single metre nor a single change along his journey to the airport. For that matter, if somebody has luggage but is reluctant to take the taxi or the minibus, he'll be better off taking the metro."

hvg.hu/english/20070725_train_to_airport_bud…

While this article is filled has a good dose of Hungo-pessimism, I believe there is a good point in that taking the metro can be potentially cheaper and possibly quicker.

To sum up the advice: As a rule of thumb, if you're coming or going from Ferihegy 1, try the train route. If you're coming or going from Ferihegy 2, take the metro and transfer to bus 200 at Kobanya-Kispest.

Budapest
Level Contributor
118 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Now there's train service from Ferihegy (Term 1) to Nyugati!

YES, BUT!!! I've seen people board a bus at Ferihegy 2 arriving from an overnight trip sleepy, tired and cranky with 4-5 suitcases. They wanted to save money and that is perfectly understandable - BUT, has anyone told them that at the end of the bus line, transferring on to the metro you have to WALK up and down stairs with your suitcases???

I would not want to do that well rested, never mind after an all night flight in a strange place in crowds that there are at the metro. :(

Give yourself a chance if you are traveling with bags or else it may set the entire trip off to a bad start.

$25 for a taxi is not a lot of money to spend to save yourself that circus. If you don't want to spend that much, take the Airport Minibus for $20 round trip they will take you and your bags to your door in town - wherever that door may be.

If you are back-backing it, sure - take the bus, just be sensible and don't spend a dollar to save a quarter. Can you tell that I'm a creature of comfort?

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Now there's train service from Ferihegy (Term 1) to Nyugati!

Completely forgot to post my review of the train service here when I got back.

Well, I have to say that it wasn't too hard to purchase the ticket and to walk to the train itself. Once on the train, it left within 10 minutes. To make sure you're not waiting on the train for half an hour, make sure to check the timetables for the train. The ride wasn't long at all. I would say it took a total of 20 minutes to get there.

BTW, I took a flight from Ferihegy 1, not 2. Walking up and crossing the bridge was not hard at all. I only had one duffle bag and one backpack. If you have trouble with stairs, there are also elevators that you can use.

I would have to agree with what the person above me said, if you have one bag and are departing from Ferihegy 1, then the train is a good choice, but if you have 2 heavy bags and is going to Ferihegy 2, then taking a taxi would be a better choice.

8. Re: Now there's train service from Ferihegy (Term 1) to Nyugati!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, September 07, 2009