We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Prague to Budapest

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
UK
4 posts
Save Topic
Train from Prague to Budapest

Hello,

I am looking to travel from Prague to Budapest in the afternoon of Friday 22nd June.

Could anyone tell me where I can book my ticket in advance?

I have seen that some people have said that you can book them over there, but I am a bit nervous, as I only arrive in Prague on the Thursday and I am worried I will not be able to get a ticket. Can anyone give me some advice?

Also, does anyone know which station the train to Prague goes from and how easy it is to get there from the centre of Budapest?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Cheers,

Tom

Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
346 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Prague to Budapest

You don't need to book in advance, just get to the station with enough time to buy your tickets. For instance, one of the fastest RR trips to Budapest is: Praha-Holesovice (no mandatory reservation) to Budapest-Keleti pu Fr, 22.06.07 depart 11:35 & arrive 18:17 (6:42 duration; EC train). 2d class is perfectly OK, of course. There is an earlier similar train. Most other trains take an hour+ more time & may require extra for reservation of seats. Don't know the price. There are German, Austrian & Czech RR websites but I don't know if you can purchase by internet. Great scenery on much of the trip, and not taking 8 hours (as in the past) is good & gets you into Keketi at a reasonable time.

Also, on europebyair.com (I checked for a friend re 6/20/07) the only cheap flight from Prague to Buapest was on Wings, flight 926 at 3:35 a.m. $221.70 for two people - only 1 hour and five minutes! Budapest public transit starts running shortly after that arrival time (check BKV site for 200 bus schedule; "Google" Budapest airport to find their page re transit into center, etc.). I suppose that there may be other airlines that don't cost $843.96 or more for two people as all the other cariers charge - you can check that out. Would saving about 5 hrs (given need to get to & from airports) justify travel at such an time? Your call.

See my reply, to inquiry on this forum page re Keleti pu to Hilton (on Castle Hill) by public transit - Deak ter (mentioned in my reply) is the centrtal Pest stop, for all three metro lines. Easy & very fast. Budapest's public transit system is wonderful.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
453 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Prague to Budapest

Tom,

I thought I let you know that there are direct buses from Prague to Budapest. The fare is quite inexpensive. (About $ 45) You will arrive at Nepligate( Spelling ?) Bus station in Budapest.

From there you can take tram to the city center or even a taxi.

Try www. eurolines.com for more information.

3. Re: Train from Prague to Budapest

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:30 am, September 02, 2009