We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas markets

A D
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
150 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas markets

I'm looking for a Christmas market break - went to Cologne last year and it was lovely. I only have limited time off work, so I need somewhere that's got its own airport, with direct flights from North West England, which rules out Strasbourg, Zagreb and various others. I've got the list down to Munich, Basle, Vienna, Prague and Budapest, but am stuck now! Has anyone got any advice for or against any of those five, or for one rather than another? Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Cologne
Cologne
North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany
England
England
United Kingdom
Strasbourg
Strasbourg
Bas-Rhin, France
Zagreb
Zagreb
Central Croatia, Croatia
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
23 replies to this topic
Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
37,554 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas markets

We were in Budapest over Christmas one year and while the Christmas Markets were enjoyable to browse through I wouldn't go to Budapest primarily for them.

Pjk

Mentioned in this post
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
A D
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
150 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas markets

Thanks.

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
8,380 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas markets

But pjk, would you go anywhere at all for a christmas market break?

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
37,554 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas markets

Paris!

Pjk

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
A D
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
150 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas markets

I looked at theirs, but it's only in La Defense - the northern French ones look better, but aren't so easy to get to. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
6,511 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas markets

Personally, we like Brussels and Budapest. Brussels because I have relations in the southern part of the Netherlands, so the Brussels market is an easy stop. Budapest because of the plethora of markets to visit. Used to like Prague, but it's getting a bit too expensive and too touristy for our tastes. However, they do have 3 good Christmas Markets.

Been to Paris and it is beautiful when it's all decorated and lit up, but with the changes they've made (no Christmas Market on the "Champs", the elimination of the big wheel on the Place de Concorde) it's not really a Christmas Market destination.

Mentioned in this post
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
A D
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
150 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Christmas markets

Thanks. I didn't fancy the look of the ones in Paris either!

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
761 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Christmas markets

Last year we went to the Christmas markets in Budapest, Vienna, and Salzburg. If I had to choose a favorite, it would definitely be Vienna. There were many markets throughout the city and I thought they were just beautiful!

Edited: 7:55 am, June 09, 2018
Mentioned in this post
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
Salzburg Region, Austria
Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
37,554 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Christmas markets

Plus, in Vienna there's the Naschmarkt where I think I could go everyday ---> https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Revie…

Pjk

Mentioned in this post
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Vienna Naschmarkt
Vienna Naschmarkt
2,674 Reviews
Vienna, Austria
Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
3,267 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Christmas markets

I’m aligned with Molly’s experiences. Lived here in Budapest for decades and have watched the Christmas markets blossom from a dingy set of stalls around one square to a city center focus which has turned into an international destination.

But..,,we sneak away before Christmas each year and enjoy Vienna markets. The district one streets are wonderfully decorated and the multiple large markets around the center are topped out with the fairytale type of setting at the Town Hall building. The setting itself can be magical unless there in a weekend in a December when it’s simply too crowded to move. We really enjoy the recent addition of the ice skating ring at the Town Hall market. It takes me back to my childhood skating amongst the beautifully decorated surroundings. The Vienna markets make me think Christmas- it’s a special feeling as usually I’m a bit of Uncle Scrooge!

Budapest is nice and getting stronger. Prague is over crowded tenfold (across most months). Vienna can be magical if not itself a bit crowded at times.

But look - some of this is fortune. I think all can be enjoyed and am not certain if indeed one is “better” than the others. Just different.

Enjoy, no matter your decision!

Jeremy

Edited: 9:17 am, June 09, 2018
Mentioned in this post
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Prague
Prague