We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas markets

A D
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
169 posts
73 reviews
Christmas markets

I'm looking for a Christmas market break - went to Cologne last year and it was lovely. I only have limited time off work, so I need somewhere that's got its own airport, with direct flights from North West England, which rules out Strasbourg, Zagreb and various others. I've got the list down to Munich, Basle, Vienna, Prague and Budapest, but am stuck now! Has anyone got any advice for or against any of those five, or for one rather than another? Thanks!

23 replies to this topic
Pjk
Plainsboro, New...
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
39,283 posts
129 reviews
1. Re: Christmas markets

We were in Budapest over Christmas one year and while the Christmas Markets were enjoyable to browse through I wouldn't go to Budapest primarily for them.

Pjk

A D
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
169 posts
73 reviews
2. Re: Christmas markets

Thanks.

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
8,410 posts
10 reviews
3. Re: Christmas markets

But pjk, would you go anywhere at all for a christmas market break?

Pjk
Plainsboro, New...
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
39,283 posts
129 reviews
4. Re: Christmas markets

Paris!

Pjk

A D
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
169 posts
73 reviews
5. Re: Christmas markets

I looked at theirs, but it's only in La Defense - the northern French ones look better, but aren't so easy to get to. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
7,049 posts
10 reviews
6. Re: Christmas markets

Personally, we like Brussels and Budapest. Brussels because I have relations in the southern part of the Netherlands, so the Brussels market is an easy stop. Budapest because of the plethora of markets to visit. Used to like Prague, but it's getting a bit too expensive and too touristy for our tastes. However, they do have 3 good Christmas Markets.

Been to Paris and it is beautiful when it's all decorated and lit up, but with the changes they've made (no Christmas Market on the "Champs", the elimination of the big wheel on the Place de Concorde) it's not really a Christmas Market destination.

A D
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
169 posts
73 reviews
7. Re: Christmas markets

Thanks. I didn't fancy the look of the ones in Paris either!

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
805 posts
22 reviews
8. Re: Christmas markets

Last year we went to the Christmas markets in Budapest, Vienna, and Salzburg. If I had to choose a favorite, it would definitely be Vienna. There were many markets throughout the city and I thought they were just beautiful!

Edited: 7:55 am, June 09, 2018
Pjk
Plainsboro, New...
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
39,283 posts
129 reviews
9. Re: Christmas markets

Plus, in Vienna there's the Naschmarkt where I think I could go everyday ---> https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Revie…

Pjk

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
3,411 posts
128 reviews
10. Re: Christmas markets

I’m aligned with Molly’s experiences. Lived here in Budapest for decades and have watched the Christmas markets blossom from a dingy set of stalls around one square to a city center focus which has turned into an international destination.

But..,,we sneak away before Christmas each year and enjoy Vienna markets. The district one streets are wonderfully decorated and the multiple large markets around the center are topped out with the fairytale type of setting at the Town Hall building. The setting itself can be magical unless there in a weekend in a December when it’s simply too crowded to move. We really enjoy the recent addition of the ice skating ring at the Town Hall market. It takes me back to my childhood skating amongst the beautifully decorated surroundings. The Vienna markets make me think Christmas- it’s a special feeling as usually I’m a bit of Uncle Scrooge!

Budapest is nice and getting stronger. Prague is over crowded tenfold (across most months). Vienna can be magical if not itself a bit crowded at times.

But look - some of this is fortune. I think all can be enjoyed and am not certain if indeed one is “better” than the others. Just different.

Enjoy, no matter your decision!

Jeremy

Edited: 9:17 am, June 09, 2018
Reply to: Christmas markets
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted