We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day only

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NEW YORK
Level Contributor
231 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
One day only

Hi:

Mu husband and I will be in Budapest in May for only one day.

I appreciate any suggestions about thisng to see. We will arrive the night before and leave the next morning so it is indeed a full day. We will be staing a block form the Opera.

We are in our early 30's and like to walk a lot and enjoy architecture. Also museum, but with only one day don;t expect to explore many museums. We want to see the highlights of the city. I know time is never enough, but 1 day is better then non at all.

Thank you in advance.

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
425 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day only

Hi;

you will be at a good place - from there you can go either by foot a bit either by - the first built metro on the European Continent has one of its stops just there. One day will be just enough for little things to see what I suggest you to choose considering what you like the best.

Famous buildings, museums, look around by a sightseeing bus, walk in the city center or in the castle district. Take a trip by a ship on the Danube!

Have an unforgettable day here!

Traveller

:)

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
295 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One day only

OK, here goes...

The night before, go to the 5th district and see the area around the basilica and the cafe's on either side of the main square. Eat there or at "T-G's" on Oktober 6th street, "Pomodoro" on arany janos street or one of the places around the US embassy on "szabadsag" square.

Hit "Hero's Square" in Pest since you can see the square itself, with its monuments, as well as two of the better museums in Hungary on either side plus the city park directly behind the monument which has a central castle with each wing designed in one of the different classical architectural styles.

From hero's square, you take "andrassy ut" (one of main boulevards in town, and very nice architecturally) past several small squares, then past the "Oktogon" square, the opera house and ballet school and you emerge in "deak" square which is basically the center of town and public transportation". Half way between hero's square and Oktogon in the "terror museum" which is a very interesting (although dark) testament to the fascist and communist terrors the locals went through during the last century.

From deak ter, you're 5 minutes from the river to stroll to the Danube and take in the sights along the banks as well as the terrific views of the Buda side of the river and parliament. "Vaci u." is one of the main shopping streets and you can walk along its length to one of the loveliest covered markets in Europe. One metro stop takes you across the river and you can walk up various paths to the caste hill area or take the funicular This is the oldest part of town and has the several more museums located within the palace as well as Matthias church, fisherman's bastion and the military museum.

If you're still standing, have a boat ride which range from 1 to several hours and see the city from the river at night. For clubbing, try any of the places on the "ship builder's Island" in the Danube opposite the 3rd district or the "Moulin rouge" club on Friday. Any of the restaurants alone Liszt square are great for a cafe style evening.

NEW YORK
Level Contributor
231 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One day only

Thank you so much for this very clear itinerary. This should be sufficient.

We're very exited.

Cardiff, Wales, UK
Level Contributor
61 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One day only

Hi,

I went there at the start of March and took a load of photos, so if you'd like to see them they are online here www.waygood.co.uk/gallery2/main.php…

I agree with what FrankMarton wrote, there are other things to see but not at the expense of rushing around and missing what was mentioned.

Public transport is very good for getting around but I chose to walk it and see everything and got blisters.

5. Re: One day only

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 pm, August 29, 2009