We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 day transportation pass

El Dorado Hills...
Level Contributor
36 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
3 day transportation pass

Hello all,

I'm hoping you can help with my confusion. I think I'm planning to buy a 3 day transportation pass for Budapest. We will be arriving on a train from Vienna around 9 pm.

1. Can I buy a 3 day pass from the train station there?

2. We plan to take metro from that train station to our flat, which is an Airbnb in City Center area. Will that 3 day pass work for that trip from that train station to the flat, or is the 3 day pass only good within the city limits itself?

3. Same question with using the metro to get back to the train station to go to Prague?

4. The website is confusing to me about what I will be able to do with that three day pass or not. Are there tourist sites around Budapest that I won't be able to use my 3 pass pass to get to?

5. Is it good for 72 hours from when I purchase it, or 3 days like Tues, Wed., and Thursday, even if I bought it at 9 pm on Tuesday?

Sorry about so many questions. Everyone's got me a little worried about getting a big fine for not having my ticket and validated correctly.

Thank you very much.

13 replies to this topic
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,505 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 day transportation pass

There are vending machines at many if not all tram stops where you can buy a transit pass. If you go out if the Keliti Train station where you arrive from Vienna and go outside then downstairs, follow signs to the metro you will see machines in the corridor. The 3 day pass is good for all modes of transit. Be sure to follow instructions on the vending machine for validation. I think it asks you to enter a start date and time. You can use the pass to leave the train station and to return to the station to go to Prague.

The pass is good from time and date of validation. So if you validate 9pm Tuesday your clock begins to tick then.

Edited: 12:54 am, March 24, 2018
Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
12,651 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 day transportation pass

It's a 72 hour pass, not 3 calendar days.

You are confusing the BKK travel pass with the Budapest Pass, which also includes reduced entry into some museums. It is generally considered to not be worth the money: just buy a BKK 72 hour pass, as described above.

El Dorado Hills...
Level Contributor
36 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 day transportation pass

Thanks for the help.

Once I buy that pass, I don't need to validate it each time I use it for a metro or bus? Or do I still need to validate it before each time I get on something?

Are there metros or buses that I can't use that pass on to see sites there?

Thanks again.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,505 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 day transportation pass

The pass is good for all public transit except the Funicular. Once it is validated you ate good to go on the metro, bus, tram of your choosing as much as you want.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
12,651 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 day transportation pass

You don't validate it at all: you just buy it and carry it. You normally have to show a pas before entering the metro, but buses and trams you just get on - you only have to producce the pass if asked.

Only single tickets need to be validated.

Edited: 2:43 pm, March 24, 2018
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
153 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 day transportation pass

Bkk website has this useful video that shows how to buy a pass https://bkk.hu/automata

What it’s not clear to me is whether it accepts credit cards. There’s a slot for a bank card but not clear if a credit card works.

Are the passes sold at the airport?

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
12,651 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 day transportation pass

The machines accept CCs and have an english language option.

There are 2 machines next to the bus stop at the airport. BKK also have a desk at the airport where you can buy tickets, but there is sometime a queue.

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
14 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 day transportation pass

Agree- best travel deal in Budapest. So easy, so convenient and so inexpensive.

Take a conference lanyard with you. Stick the pass or ticket in the plastic part, put it around your neck and you won't have to open your handbag at all. Keep your wallet safe! :-)

Edited: 3:03 pm, March 25, 2018
El Dorado Hills...
Level Contributor
36 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 day transportation pass

Great ideas everyone. Thank you!

To clarify:

I don't need to ever validate it after I purchase a 72 hour pass, not even the first time used.

I can use it on ANY bus, metro or tram except funicular.

I can buy it right at the train station that comes in from Vienna.

Correct on all of this?

Thanks again.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
12,651 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 3 day transportation pass

Yes.

You can even use it on the public boats on the Duna (Danube) - but not at weekends.

Reply to: 3 day transportation pass
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted