We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Medievel village Nr Budapest

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Medievel village Nr Budapest

Hi,

We are travelling to Budapest in November for 3 nights and would like to know if there are any medieval villages nearby that we could perhaps catch a bus to. I don't want to spend too long on the bus but would like to plan a day for sightseeing. Any helpful comments would be appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
9 replies to this topic
Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
3,119 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Medievel village Nr Budapest

There is the Skanzen at Szentendre which shows how and where people lived about a centruy ago, but if you are looking for a functioning settlements, I dont know of any. As Hungary was agrarian at that age, large settlements were rare, which were destroyed over and over through contants warfare. For example, even the city walls of Budapest have disappeared.

Mentioned in this post
Hungary
Hungary
Europe
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
12,426 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Medievel village Nr Budapest

The communists moved people in the countryside into settlements in the 50s: a difference I notice between here and the UK is that there are almost no houses between villages. Any ancient village centre was swamped by new housing. You still see trad houses - my wife and I walked past several today in Nagykovacsi but they are far from medieval.

And as Rawlee says, much of Hungary was destroyed, particularly during WW2: for example you would never guess it now but much of the Var (Castle District) in Budapest was flattened in 1944/5, and no bridges were left in a usable condition.

The nearest thing you will find is perhaps Holloko, which I haven't visitied for 30+ years, I suspect it is very touristy now.

Mentioned in this post
Hungary
Hungary
Europe
Var
Var
Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur, France
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Budapest
Level Contributor
620 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Medievel village Nr Budapest

Skanzen will be closed for much of November, but check their website to see if they are open during your stay: skanzen.hu/en

Hollókő is roughly a two hour bus trip from Budapest. (train likely takes longer) I'm doubtful that much will be going on there during the winter months.

Probably not what you were wanting but there's a well-known Medieval-themed restaurant, that many locals and tourists both go to: sirlancelot.hu

Mentioned in this post
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Berkshire UK
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Medievel village Nr Budapest

The accepted definition of medieval is between 500 - 1500 AD ... due to the trials and tribulations of Hungarian history you'll not find much extant architecture from this period, bar some castle ruins and heavily modified churches. (Indeed you'll not find much domestic architecture from this period even in the UK !)

In many "everyday" villages you'll find a few houses very much in their mid 19c form, and building styles and techniques never really changed much between 1600 and the 1930s (my mum has stories of how they made the bricks, collectively and over many days shaping and firing the clay on their land, to build a neighbour's new house c1940 in SW Hungary, my step-dad's family in the NE built with quarry stone).

Not much tourist interest in most villages. Only Hollókő stands out as a preserved semi-museum with 200 year old houses, but is nigh on impossible with public transport (one bus a day) and will be dead out of season.

For a "quaint" small town with historic atmosphere, truly old buildings, historic churches, good art galleries, nice restaurants and a "village" feel, check out Szentendre. Its just 40 minutes from central Budapest by suburban train. Normally a "tourist trap", so November might just be a good time to visit, and can be done in half a day.

Nearest to true "medieval" is a long way from Budapest in the extreme west, towns like Sopron and Kőszeg.

Of course the castle district of Budapest has many (restored) 17c & 18c buildings too, Honestly you'll be so enticed with the capital that you won't want to travel outside for a 3 day stay !

Mentioned in this post
Hungary
Hungary
Europe
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Sopron
Sopron
Gyor-Moson-Sopron County, Hungary
Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,778 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Medievel village Nr Budapest

I agree with Laura_Eva above. (and others). Hungary's history is far different from that of the UK and the same 'norms' simply do not apply. As a result, one won't find the 'chocolate box' villages so beloved in the UK.

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
584 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Medievel village Nr Budapest

Something to add to this: large parts of Hungary was occupied by the Ottoman Empire between 1541 and 1699. (Buda was 1686 free from the Turks, but in the battles most of the houses were destroyed.) The Turkish occupation was a disaster for Hungary, hundreds of villages were destroyed in the wars. So in Hungary the oldest buildings are from the 18th Century in most of the towns, although Hungary was a relatively important kingdom in the Middle Ages, and Buda had a fantastic renaissance culture in the 15th Century with 2-3 stock houses and the royal palace. (These were destroyed too.)

Except some castle ruins, "old buildings" mean in Hungary for this reason mostly buildings from the 18th century: baroque buildings.

(It is a bit different in the Northern part of the old Hungary, which is now Slovakia; or in Transsilvania, which is now Romania. There was no Ottoman occupation. There you can find some older towns as well, e. g. Kassa (Kosice) or Brassó (Brasow) or Segesvár (Sigisoara) etc.)

Edited: 6:14 am, September 23, 2017
Mentioned in this post
Hungary
Hungary
Europe
Romania
Romania
Europe
Kosice
Kosice
Kosice Region, Slovakia
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,423 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Medievel village Nr Budapest

While it is not a village, there is a midievil restaurant in Budapest called Sir Lancelot Knights. You can look it up here on TA. The food was pretty good, a little pricey, and the entertainment of fire eaters, sword fights etc was entertaining. It has over 1000 excellent reviews here on TA. It is not in a tourist neighborhood. Reservation is needed.

Edited: 11:46 am, September 24, 2017
Mentioned in this post
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Sir Lancelot Knights' Restaurant
Sir Lancelot Knights...
2,596 Reviews
Budapest, Hungary
Berkshire UK
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Medievel village Nr Budapest

Greyhound ... asides from spelling medieval as "midievil", is your post meant to be ironic ?

"Fire eaters & sword fights" over dinner is surely not what the original poster was looking for ...

Berkshire UK
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Medievel village Nr Budapest

Also the original poster (UK Wendy _Woo ) needs to come to Hungary in 10 years time, by when every Hungarian castle ruin will be fully rebuilt in mock "medieval" style, and the destruction of history will be absolutely complete !

Mentioned in this post
Hungary
Hungary
Europe
Reply to: Medievel village Nr Budapest
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted