We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spas/thermal springs

London
1 post
Save Topic
Spas/thermal springs

I'm due to visit Budapest next week and was wondering if anyone knew which were the best spas/ thermal springs to visit? Have whizzed through the other topics (thanks to all those who posted great restaurant / taxi advice / etc info) but didn't see any spa reviews...? Look forward to hearing!

Liverpool, England
Level Contributor
22 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spas/thermal springs

I have posted a review of the Szechenyi Baths, having been there last week. Have a look!! As you can see, this one is well worth the trip... They are in the City Park, housed in what used to be some sort of palace, I think.

We met an English guy when we were there, who said he didn't really rate the Gellert Spa/Baths and that we should definitely try the Szechenyi Baths, which we did, but I would have loved to have had the time to do both. It's not like anyone can have too much relaxation, is it?

Tip- pay to get a 'cabin', because the communal changing rooms are less pleasant, but as the cabins don't have mirrors or hairdryers, you may want to go down to the changing rooms after you are dressed, just to do your hair/makeup/whatever.

Hope you have a great time!

Vero Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
351 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spas/thermal springs

Without of doubt, go to the Thermal Hotel Margitsziget on Margitsziget Island. Clean, professional, top notch.

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
2,320 posts
386 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spas/thermal springs

On our walking tour of Budapest we went and had a look through the window at the Szechenyi Baths and it did look like fun. However, bare in mind that it is blinking cold at the moment and there is a lot of walking about outside from pool to pool to be done. We went to the indoor Gellert Baths and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. The queues were much shorter here although the pool is also much smaller and the outside areas are not open until May I think. It is the Art Nouveau decor and ambience that make the place although you could just get a visitors ticket for 700 forints if you just wanted to see the place and not swim. We had a right kerfuffle at the pay desk as I didn't understand the robe renting policy! They wanted me to pay about 100pounds as a deposit and as I didn't have my visa card with me I had to keep asking for less and less until I could afford to go in. As we stayed less than 2hours we got 800 forints back at the end but it still cost us about 7pounds each for a swim and a sit in a warm pool. It was worth it though for the laugh we had looking at each other in our provided and compulsory blue bathing caps.

And afterwards we had a lovely snoop around the Gellert hotel which had a beautiful xmas tree in the lobby and a fantastic Espresso coffee lounge where we had gorgeous capuccino and coffee cake in lovely surroundings for only ��3 each. I believe they have a piano player in there from 3pm too.

canada
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Spas/thermal springs

So, now we estabilished, that the Szechenyi is a great spa!

Please somebody tell us about prices, do they have massages, how about towels, hairdryers? Is the water good for sore bones, muscles? Is there a sauna or a steambath?

How is one gets there?

Are any other spas like the above mentioned?

I'll be in Budapest for the first 2 weeks in June, sure would appreciate an answert.

Thank you,

Violette

jez
Norwich
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Spas/thermal springs

Violette,

Check out this website for information;

http://www.spasbudapest.com/tartalom.php

Kent, England
Level Contributor
233 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spas/thermal springs

We went to both the Gellert and Szechenyi baths and by far preferred the Szechenyi. They were cheaper, less touristy and the whole complex is unisex. The Gellert baths were beautiful to look at, but as a couple weren't as enjoyable for us as the massage (HUF2400 for 15 mins), steam rooms, saunas, thermal baths, etc. were segregated. The Gellert baths were more expensive as well. More than once we found that we were in a pool with no one else but Americans....the Szechenyi seemed to have more locals and therefore felt like more of a true Hungarian experience. We had more fun by far at the Szechenyi. Definately pay the little extra to have a cabin at both though, and try the massages at either. They are pretty much the same price. At the Gellert though they massage you in the nude in a communal room, I didn't find this a problem, but thought it was worth mentioning as some may not be comfortable with this set up. Which ever baths you choose, just go with an open mind and enjoy.....do not miss this experience.

Budapest
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Spas/thermal springs

Dear all,

Szechenyi and Gellert Spas are the 2 most well-known in Budapest. Prices are usually between 1500 and 2500 Ft but e.g. in Szechenyi Spa you get discount on different periods of the day.

There are some descriptions of several baths of Budapest and hungary at www.hungary-expert.com under Health and Wellness. You will also find some indications and contraindications for which are these waters good.

These complexes have both outdoor and indoor pools, definitely saunas.

Good luck with your trip and take care!

Krisztina