We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thermal baths in Budapest

Copenhagen, Denmark
2 posts
Save Topic
Thermal baths in Budapest

Hi everyone

I was wondering if you usually take a shower after spending time in the thermal baths in Budapest? I would assume you do, but I am in doubt because I thought you might not because you wouldn't wash of the minerals of the thermal water. But I don't know if it matters.

Does anyone know if it's normal to shower or not to shover after the thermal baths?

Thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
12 replies to this topic
Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
37,947 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thermal baths in Budapest

Personally I just towel dry and wait until I get back to the hotel to shower. I've noticed others use the facilities in the spa to rinse off, though.

Pjk

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
7,147 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thermal baths in Budapest

I was so happy that I was warm to my bones that I didn't shower until the next morning.

Copenhagen, Denmark
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Thermal baths in Budapest

Thanks for your replies.

I guess I will just see what I feel like when I am there then :-)

Paris, France
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Thermal baths in Budapest

Yes you can shower after being in the pools. I went to Szechenyi baths yesterday with my partner. He used to go every day a couple of years ago and loves them. It was the first time for me, and it was very interesting. One can spend half a day or all day there. You can swim in a "normal" outside swimming pool at 26 degrees Celsius, then do a circuit of all the other indoor pools, varying in size and temperatures between 18 and 40 degrees! There are several saunas and hammams at different temperatures too. They are not my cup of tea but I quite liked the "aroma" one where you could sit in an essential oils atmosphere. (They must have put drops of the oils in the steam dispenser). There is also a sauna with an aroma of pine. People usually end with another outdoor pool at 36 degrees C where there is a horizontal jet of water you can go under. The water for all the pools comes from a spring deep underground at 1260 metres. You can smell the minerals in the water a little but it is not overpowering. Everyone wears a swimming costume and at the end you can have an individual shower, and also rinse out your costume at special sinks, near which are plastic bags specially for the wet costumes. At the changing rooms and showers are the attendants who speak English and are very helpful. There are also toilets available all through the circuit. I enjoyed the time at the baths, but if I go again I will not do a full circuit but just choose one or two of the places.

Edited: 6:30 pm, September 09, 2017
Level Contributor
66 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thermal baths in Budapest

I guess both options are valid, there are facilities in the spa where you can shower after the swim, and you can leave it for after! If it's for the minerals, I don't think it's very useful to not shower only for that. I mean after a couple of hours swim your body must have had enough by then, but I think you'll feel pretty warm after the swim that you'll prefer leaving the shower for later.

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
889 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Thermal baths in Budapest

Hi,

The Doctors (not me or fellow TA posters!) recommend wrapping yourself in a bath towel, bathrobe and a lay down for a 30-40 minutes relax. This helps the thermal water to be soaked by your body. After that you are ready for the shower, so no reason to keep it until you reach your hotel room.

Also as a rule of thumb, 30 minutes is the MAXIMUM time recommended for spending in thermal water. Few hours or especially swimming (absolutely not advised!) in thermal water in most of the times have a NEGATIVE effect, especially for your heart and cardiovascular system.

My comment is based on more than 10 years of visiting those spas (not only in Hungary) and reading through tons of medical articles in three languages, that's very important, cause sometimes sources in any given language give you only very contradictory or even misleading information.

Mentioned in this post
Hungary
Hungary
Europe
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
7,147 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thermal baths in Budapest

Bela - I am interested in your comment that one should not spend more than 30 minutes in thermal water. I understand that in the hot outdoor pool (38 degrees) that this is more than enough. However, I am wondering if you mean in *all* thermal water. Do you consider that this means the 26 degree pool as well? If you are just standing (not swimming), that you are in danger?

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
889 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Thermal baths in Budapest

Hi Dale47,

As a rule of thumb in most of the lap or attraction/activity pools in Hungary they use the so called "mixed water", (we call it "KEVERT VÍZ" in Hungarian). In some places it is 50/50 in some places it is 30% thermal and 70% tap water.

This is the info from the Szechenyi Spa, concerning their pools:

Thermal section

Temperature/Water depth

11 thermal water pool (indoors) 28 °C - 40 °C/Water depth 1,0-1,3 m

1 cooling pool (indoors) 20 °C/1,0 m

1 immersion pools(indoors) 18 °C/1,1 m

Swimming pool

Temperature/Water depth

1 swimming pool, 50 meter long (outdoors)/ 26 °C - 28 °C/1,5 m

1 activity pool (outdoors) 30 °C - 34 °C/1,0 m

1 thermal water pool (outdoors) 38 °C/1,3 m

2 immersion pools (indoors) 18 °C/1,1 m

So as you can see ONLY the 38C outdoor pool has thermal (healing) water. The iconic one where they play chess forever:)

Also here are the contraindications using thermal water, for instance from the famous HEVIZ lake (100% natural thermal water):

Contraindications

Malignant tumors (in a state which requires surgical treatment or medication).

(De-compensated) heart diseases causing circulatory disorders, vascular diseases, high blood pressure (if the appropriate level cannot be set or if it causes problems in the organs), severe atherosclerosis, coronary sclerosis, after heart attack (if prohibited by physician), severe vein problems (vein thrombosis).

Any acute inflammatory diseases (vein inflammation and active state of arthritic inflammation).

Any type of acute and chronic infectious diseases (eg.: TBC, hepatitis etc.).

Leukemia, any severe diseases of the blood forming organ, severe anemia (leukemia, anemia, hemophilia).

Asthma in case of frequent accessions.

Active ulcer (stomach or bowel), kidney problems, kidney stones.

Sudden fainting fits (epilepsy, Adams-Stokes syndrome).

Chronic alcoholism, severe liver cirrhosis.

Weeping eczema, extended sores.

Hyperthyroidism with problems in the organs, uncompensated diabetes, sudden weight loss/growth.

During the first 6 weeks after X-ray therapy treatment.

Pregnancy.

I am sure you know that everything in this life has 2 sides of a story:

One person's medicine is another person's poison.

All in all, you can do your laps in the swimming pool without any problems:)

Mentioned in this post
Hungary
Hungary
Europe
Heviz
Heviz
Zala County, Hungary
Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
889 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Thermal baths in Budapest

Forgot to mention, that whenever you go to your doctor for the thermal spa treatment, they examine you carefully and give you the prescription accordingly.

I just have checked my prescription and even on it it is written by the doctor, that I need 37C water of maximum 30 minutes at a time.

Of course there are thousands and thousands of people soaking in thermal water for days and weeks in a row and I haven't heard of any casualties yet:)

I have some regular Russian customers with whom I have to go (and I mean the "have to go") to the the lake Heviz, quite regularly.

Even taking into consideration that they pay for all my costs (ABSOLUTELY for everything, gas, food, accommodation, entry tickets etc., etc) I am still sick and tired of visiting that lake. T-O-O-O-O boring for me, especially when you go there for a hundred's time.

They go there since 2006 minimum once, sometimes twice or even more times a year (for 1-2 week periods), spend millions of hours in the water, drinking gallons of beer and Unicum along with that and they are still kicking and feeling fine:)

Probably the alcohol and goose liver annihilates the contraindications:))

Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thermal baths in Budapest

Looking to visit next week.

What times of day are the quietest and are there any particular days that are too and also has anyone tried the beer baths and what were there experience?

Reply to: Thermal baths in Budapest
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted