We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

50th birthday suggestions

East Midlands...
Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
Save Topic
50th birthday suggestions

Hi, myself abd my son are arriving in Budapest this Friday, very excited.

It's my 50th birthday next Monday, and am wanting suggestions for the day and evening. I like sightseeing, but have a long term illness, so can't do anything too strenuous.

My idea is daytime at szechenyi baths, as its pictures of the outdoor pools there that attracted me to Budapest in the first place. On a monday, would we need to buy tickets in advance? Any suggestions for treatments to try, and do you need to prebook on a Monday?

Twilight Danube cruise need prebooking? I fancied one with gypsy music.which companies are best?

And where for a nice meal afterwards. Like quirky places if possible. Neither of us are big eaters though. Don't want anywhere too upmarket, just nice food, surroundings, and friendly if poss.and perhaps near boat.

Many thanks.

East Midlands...
Level Contributor
371 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 50th birthday suggestions

One of our reasons for a city break to Budapest was for a 50th birthday.

We spent that day sight seeing with a 72 hour travel pass, the public transport is fantastic and you can get around very easy without much walking. Your idea of the baths would work.

We booked a 7.30 was dark then in the middle of march, 1 hour boat with Legenda then we had already booked a table at Hungarikum Bisztro -check out the reviews on here, but you defiantly need to book and make sure that you tell them its your birthday - for a nice extra surprise from the owner. From the docks you get the number 2 tram and get off at the parliment and its a short walk to the restaurant, and it is exactly as you describe, and has a very relaxed local feel with great food.

East Midlands...
Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 50th birthday suggestions

Hi, thankyou for your reply. Looks a good place, how long would it take to get to there from the boat plz, and would the boat need pre booking. I was thinking of the half 6 trip? Many thanks

East Midlands...
Level Contributor
371 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 50th birthday suggestions

We went on the 7.30 and pre booked it here in the uk but in the middle of march there were only 8 people on the boat so we need not of booked, but the boat with the dinner was full. Whilst we were sailing we commented that to have your dinner on the boat would be a wast of time because you cant eat and look out at the same time, also the general consensus is that the food on the boat although being ok is not as good as you can get anywhere in a restaurant.

For us the whole point of the boat trip was to see the city lit at night from the middle of the river so I think 6.30 will be too early now, it would of been good of for us in mid march but actually was too early for us to get back to the hotel and get ready to go out for the night again so we went for the 7.30 boat after it was fully dark. So for you if you did 7.30 it would be a nice twilight to dark experience.

Legenda docks at peir 7 and is very close to where you catch the number 2 tram at Vigadó tér, from there its 5 min to the parliment on the tram and then 5 min walk to the restaurant.

When catching the tram you get to see two statues at vigado ter - the girl and her dog and the little princess and then when you get off the tram at the other end you get to see the parliment and another statue ---- Monument to Imre Nagy as you walk to the restaurant.

4. Re: 50th birthday suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, April 01, 2018