We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

24hr travelcard

Dor
Kuta District...
Level Contributor
706 posts
216 reviews
24hr travelcard

Does the travelcard covers Bus #16 to the castle?

And metro and trams?

Thank you

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
590 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: 24hr travelcard

Yes, all metro, tram, bus, trolley, train and suburban railway lines within Budapest.

FYI: there are many possibilities to go up to the castle. If you want to take the funicular, you have to pay for it extra. (In my opinion it is not worth.)

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,567 posts
154 reviews
2. Re: 24hr travelcard

The bus 16 is the best to go up and down Buda Hill, however I enjoy walking down. The transit pass works for all public transit within the city. Except the Funicular.

Dor
Kuta District...
Level Contributor
706 posts
216 reviews
3. Re: 24hr travelcard

Where can I take Bus 16? Is it very enar to the funicular?

How long does it takes to go up?

Thanks!

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,567 posts
154 reviews
4. Re: 24hr travelcard

Bus 16 is commonly taken from Deak Ter, the stop is across the street from the Ritz Carlton Hotel. Takes about 15 minutes depending on Traffic. You can also rode from the Buda side of the Chain Bridge at a stop called Clarke Adam. These are the two stops I know well there others.

The funicular is also at Clark Adam on the Buda side of the Chain Bridge. It takes less than 5 minutes to ascend to the top. But it costs additional money, not much and is not included in the transit pass. Essentially tourist attraction.

Edited: 10:58 pm, December 20, 2016
Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
13,014 posts
64 reviews
5. Re: 24hr travelcard

The 16 goes from Deak Ter to Szell Kalman Ter - and back - via the Var.

Deak Ter is the main transport hub in Pest, Szell Kalman Ter is the main hub in Buda.

In addition the 16A goes from Szell Kalman Ter to Disz Ter, which is in the centre of the Var (Castle District).

Do not use the funicular, per metre it is one of the most expensive rides in the wrold.

The best time to visit the Var is after dark, when the city looks spectacular, but the Matyas Templom closes so if you want to go inside you must go up in the daytime.

Edited: 11:29 pm, December 20, 2016
Dor
Kuta District...
Level Contributor
706 posts
216 reviews
6. Re: 24hr travelcard

Thanks all!

Yes I will likely take the bus since I will be buying the travelcard.

Clarke adam stop will suit me better since Iw ill be coming form Gellert Hill.

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
590 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: 24hr travelcard

When you will come from the Gellért Hill, you can consider also the way through the Várkert bazár. You should climb a bit, than use an escalator. It is probably the most scenic way, but a bit affordable, and you will not arrive at the Fisherman's Bastion, but the Royal Palace. (The views are not worse though...)

A "third alternative way": as student I went often to the Castle, into the National Library Széchényi [Yes, I write it correctly: the Spa is Széchenyi, the Library is Széchényi, Széchényi was the father of Széchenyi, the "greatest Hungarian"; the father grounded the library, the son grounded lots of things like the Academy of Sciences etc.]. Mostly I used the elevator which starts in Dózsa György tér (2 tramstops from the Elisabeth Bridge). If somebody has the library pass, should not pay for it; otherwise it costs about 100 forint or so. It looks like so: oszk.hu/sites/…megkozelites_Dozsa_006.jpg

8. Re: 24hr travelcard

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, December 23, 2017