We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budapest to Dubrovnik driving

San Clemente...
Level Contributor
18 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Budapest to Dubrovnik driving

Has anyone driven from Budapest to Dubrovnik? If so, what would be the most direct route? Also, time to get there, I am thinking two days.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
2,983 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budapest to Dubrovnik driving

Hi ebarry36,

I've driven the route....which is long but all highway these days. And if done at good time of year, can be an easy jaunt....if 10 hours is easy....You can get there in 10ish hours. From Budapest to Zagreb is about 3, and from there it's another 7ish.

But....(apologies as there are a couple large 'buts')

Time of year and traffic jams + border crossing. You have a border which at times can get very busy. During the summer months, the Hungarians and other Europeans pile into their cars and enjoy the Croatian coast. The border (and overall traffic) can add considerable time to your trip. I know some friends who will purposely leave Budapest at say 04:00 to beat the summer border rush.

You should also check your car rental agreement if you are indeed renting to ensure you can drive into Croatia.

Hope this gives you some idea.

Jeremy

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,189 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Budapest to Dubrovnik driving

You also get most of the rest of central Europe heading that direction as soon as the holidays start - it is crazy. However, many just go to northern Croatia and the northern coast for this reason and don't get that far south - in any case a car is not a lot of use in Dubrovnik. There are some spectacular roads along the Adriatic coastline, but I don't know how many rental agencies will allow you to take cars there.

San Clemente...
Level Contributor
18 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Budapest to Dubrovnik driving

Thanks for the info. I should have mentioned this will be a round trip back to Budapest. I am now thinking of going Budapest - Paks (South on E73) - Osijek - Sarajevo - Dubrovnik. Park the car a few days then North up the coast to Split - Zadar - Rijeka - Ljubljana - Zagreb - Budapest. Approximately three weeks, late May into early June. I understand the car rental maybe the biggest problem. Any more ideas and/or info please post same. Thanks!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,046 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Budapest to Dubrovnik driving

Check the route planner for your journey www.viamichelin.com

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,189 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Budapest to Dubrovnik driving

Finding somewhere that will allow you to drive into Bosnia, let alone Croatia - good luck with that! And don't be tempted to just go there anyway if it is not allowed, as if anything at all happened, you will not be covered by insurance legal cover and I understand Bosnian jails aren't the nicest ...

But money appears to be no object, so enjoy the trip!

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
606 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Budapest to Dubrovnik driving

I've done this both on the motorway through Croatia and "straight" through Bosnia. Through Bosnia it was around 13 hours or even more and some parts of it very boring (however, the motorway is boring all the way) The last bit before you reach the sea is very beautiful (Neretva valley)

Two days throught Bosnia: stop in Sarajevo and Mostar (World Heritage bridge)

Two days through Croatia: stop at Lake Plitvice (Natural Park and possibly also a World Heritage Site - with a bit of a detour). Otherwise stay on the motorway and leave early as it was mentioned above.

One day: on the motorway as otherwise it is extremely exhausting (done it...)

My suggestion would be to plan 2 days both ways and check both routes one on the way there and one on the way back.

I would not drive a rented car through Bosnia!

San Clemente...
Level Contributor
18 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Budapest to Dubrovnik driving

Thank you everyone for the information. It is settled, I will be driving from Budapest - Zagreb - Dobrovnik and return to Budapest the same way. The plan is to stay out of Bosnia. Again, thanks for the input.

Bryn Mawr...
Level Contributor
4 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Budapest to Dubrovnik driving

Any advice from your trip ebarry36? We are about to embark on the same trip (by rental car). Stopping in Split for one night on the way to Dubrovnik but not sure about the way back. Any advice?

Bryn Mawr...
Level Contributor
4 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Budapest to Dubrovnik driving

Any advice from your trip ebarry36? We are about to embark on the same trip (by rental car). Stopping in Split for one night on the way to Dubrovnik but not sure about the way back. Any advice?

San Clemente...
Level Contributor
18 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Budapest to Dubrovnik driving

Again, thank you everyone for your in put and comments. We took all your comments into account and had a great trip/vacation.

First of all, we rented a compact car from Hertz in Budapest and returned it there. We bought the "complete coverage" and rented a GPS. Somewhat expensive but worth every penny as we don't speak either Solvanian or Craotian. Hertz assured us it was fine to take their car into Solvania and Croatia. Driveing in Hungary was also easy with a NAV system as you cannot read the street names - just follow the map.

Our route was from Buda to Lake Bled, Solvania w/o going into Croatia. Go to Lake Bled and drive into the Julian Alps. It was a highlight of the trip. Also take the train back to the Lk Bled area. It is cheap, 14USD, and a fun ride. You ride in your car and go through a long tunnel - very fun thing to do. It also saves two hours driving back to Lk Bled. The Alps are fantastic.

From Lk Bled to Rovin(sp) Croatia, to Split (stay two nights) and onto Dubrovnik. Walk all the way around the city wall and go to the Fort on top of the mountain. It looks down over all of Dubrovnik and go into the museium. We drove up, very narrow road- fun drive - go slow. Do not take the tram - full of passengers from the cruse ships and packed like sardines.

Dove back to Buda via Zagreb and onto Buda, two days. We did not go into Bosnia. Do not take the car into Bosnia, it voids the insurance. Also, buy the window stickers for tolls in Solvania - Hertz will tell you about it.

Again thanks everyone, we had a great trip!!