We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is Budapest gay friendly?

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
is Budapest gay friendly?

My partner and myself (both male in our early 30's) are both staying in Budapest next month.

We are aware that Budapest is home to a variety of gay bars, clubs and venues.

Neither of us is particularly interested in the "gay scene".

We have travelled to various European cities (Amsterdam, parts of Spain etc) and we enjoyed being able to be a couple and showing appropriate affection to each other in public and not having to pretend to "just be mates".

We are not staying in a gay hotel nor do we plan on visiting and gay bars, clubs etc.

But we do wish to make our stay in Budapest a relaxing and romantic trip,

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: is Budapest gay friendly?

Thanks for the advice guys.

12. Re: is Budapest gay friendly?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:05 am, January 11, 2012
Pecs, Hungary
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: is Budapest gay friendly?

Bad to say, but not "gay-friendly" so don't do it on open places, that's all. No "hold hands" on the street, it's tolerated normally way, but you don't wanna make problems, right? Anyways, of course, you can feel your weekend in a hotel room, as romantic as you want, just not on open places.

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
7,617 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: is Budapest gay friendly?

I would imagine it's about the same as Belfast ... you should be fine anywhere within the city center, eliciting reactions that range roughly as widely as they do at home.

15. Re: is Budapest gay friendly?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:35 am, September 08, 2014
Colwyn Bay, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: is Budapest gay friendly?

Hi, just picked up on this post, and feel I should caution you about an incident which has just occured to my stepson. He and his friend went last weekend to Budapest, and it seems that they have been targetted, befriended, drugged and robbed. They are not gay, just friends, and have said that they found the city unwelcoming, Anglophobic, and they felt marginalised and ostracised from the outset. They did make the mistakes cautioned against both on Tripadvisor, and in the DK Eyewitness Travel Top 10 Budapest guide. I would advise extreme caution.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
4,349 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: is Budapest gay friendly?

@Phil W

Perhaps you could share in more depth and detail as to what you mean bye Quote: "that they have been targetted, befriended, drugged and robbed." & "they found the city unwelcoming, Anglophobic, and they felt marginalised and ostracised from the outset. They did make the mistakes cautioned against both on Tripadvisor, and in the DK Eyewitness Travel Top 10 Budapest guide"

So that your warning of extreme caution could carry some substance.

Best

SEBESZ

Edited: 2:10 pm, October 14, 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: is Budapest gay friendly?

Do search above for gay and gay friendly and you should more threads on comportment and places to visit.

Colwyn Bay, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: is Budapest gay friendly?

Now the dust has settled, and with the benefit of hindsight, I would say thet Budapest can be a wonderful place to visit, and provided you accept local custom, practice and attitudes then you should have no difficulties. One of the two young men concerned in my original post was provocative and almost confrontational, and neither paid heed to the cautions on this site, reinforced by entries in travel guides such as D&K and Lonely Planet. A modicum of caution and respect, and all should be well.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: is Budapest gay friendly?

Phil, I think that could be said of any place you visit. Treat everyone as if they were your grandmother and you will get along just fine.