We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Apartments / Flats / Houses for long term rent - Miskolc

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
89 posts
69 reviews
Apartments / Flats / Houses for long term rent - Miskolc

Hi all

We will shortly be spending a year in Miskolc for work commitments but we are not having much luck securing accommodation. I have found one website, Arkadia, with some rentals on there but does anyone know of any others?

Many thanks.

Nicky & Ade

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
12,800 posts
63 reviews
1. Re: Apartments / Flats / Houses for long term rent - Miskolc

Can't your new employers help ?

I have to say that Miskolc is not a town where there is likely to be a lot of accomodation available, but the local paper may help: it is in Hungarian, but you could try mailing them for help.

http://www.eszak.hu/

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
2. Re: Apartments / Flats / Houses for long term rent - Miskolc

I hate to say this, but if you search around on this site and its links, you will find a vacation rental site. I just read about one 3-4 hours ago that would be perfect for you. It's in Miscolc-Taploca, a suburb. The review was from someone who stayed there for 8 months. I had the impression he was teaching at the University for a year. Try this site to find the rentals: tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g274902-d949262…

Tapolca is much to be preferred over Miscolc because the latter is mostly a gritty industrial town and the air is unbearable, whereas Tapolca is mostly resort and parks and clean air. Get a car or just take the bus into Miscolc but live in Tapolca.

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
3,141 posts
3. Re: Apartments / Flats / Houses for long term rent - Miskolc

Dont mix the two, Tapolca is in the Transdanubia near the Balaton, while Miskolc-Tapolca is in Northern Hungary.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
4. Re: Apartments / Flats / Houses for long term rent - Miskolc

Good catch, Rawlee. The site suggested has only Miscolc-Taapolca rentals.

Bukkszek, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Eger
Level Contributor
1,153 posts
21 reviews
5. Re: Apartments / Flats / Houses for long term rent - Miskolc

Having visited Miskolc several times recently it's opened my eyes to what I "thought" was a very run down, old, industrial town. The shopping is much better than I thought and the town is larger than I realised.

I would argue that the air is not at all unbearable at all and no different to anywhere else in this region.

Misckolc-Tapolca is a nicer area than the town centre itself but I guess that rental prices will also reflect this.

Here in Eger there are always many properties for rent at local prices, not tourist rates. A flat in the centre can be had from around 35,000 huf per month. I know of one couple who were renting a small place for 25,000 huf in the centre so I'm sure the situation will be similar in Miskolc. I would have thought that the company that you are going to work for would very easily be able to find a place at low cost.

Be aware however, that on top of the rental price there may also be other costs if renting a flat.

Paul

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
89 posts
69 reviews
6. Re: Apartments / Flats / Houses for long term rent - Miskolc

Thanks for all the replies. We have now managed to secure an apartment 10mins walking from the town. We did view an apartment in Miskolc-Tapolca but I felt it was too far from town, my husband will be working but I won't so I wanted to be within walking distance in the winter.

I was pleasantly surprised on visiting Miskolc after the reviews I have read on here. There are loads of shops (if you like shopping), some great restaurants and bars and some lovely places to visit in the surrounding areas. We were only there for 5 days and visited Lillafüred, Diósgyőri Vár. and Miskolc-Tapolca of course :-). We move out July 25th and Eger is next on the list, if you have any other suggestions of where to visit that would be great! I hear there are some cave baths which are not so 'touristy', does anyone know where they are? We purchased a new sat nav to go and it worked brilliantly, even driving through the middle of the Bukk Mountains :-))

Once again, thanks everyone. My next question is to follow in the forums :-)

Nicky & Ade

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
7. Re: Apartments / Flats / Houses for long term rent - Miskolc

Don't try that drive through the Bukk in winter even if it says the road is open.

Bukkszek, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Eger
Level Contributor
1,153 posts
21 reviews
8. Re: Apartments / Flats / Houses for long term rent - Miskolc

You can but need a 4x4. We did it last year. Obviously it can get a little hairy at times without 4 wheel drive.

Bukkszek, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Eger
Level Contributor
1,153 posts
21 reviews
9. Re: Apartments / Flats / Houses for long term rent - Miskolc

Back to Nic&Ade...

Aggtelek is very nice with caves stretching across the border into Slovakia and there's quite a big market on a Saturday morning in Ozd selling everything from chickens to kitchens. New and used goods.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
10. Re: Apartments / Flats / Houses for long term rent - Miskolc

Paul: what kind of piac is it in Ozd? Sounds good.

Without a 4x4 you could go off the road and not be found until spring!