We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 weeks in Budapest

Boston
1 post
3 weeks in Budapest

Hi, I'm a medical student going to the Semmelweis University of Medicine from Mid-April to the first week of May. I was wondering if anyone can help with any suggestions on where to start looking for cheap short-term housing in the area?

I'm also planning to go to Greece, Italy, Spain, and France in the 2 weeks following, and I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas on how best to travel? Should I fly? Should I take the train? Should I drive?

Basically I'm flying out rather spontaneously as this will be my last chance to travel in quite a bit, and am trying to find my way. Any help would be greatly appreciated! ^______^

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
13,023 posts
64 reviews
1. Re: 3 weeks in Budapest

Frankly I would drop at least one of the other countries - you will get little enough time to appreciate them if there are 3, let alone 4. Each transfer will take at least half a day even if you fly, which takes 2 days out of your 14.

Also, where exactly in Greece/ Spain etc. The capitals ? the sea ? mountains ?

Doylestown...
Level Contributor
1,812 posts
553 reviews
2. Re: 3 weeks in Budapest

Have you considered exploring Hungary rather than visiting other countries? I say this because your money will go much much further in regional Hungary than either Italy, Greece or Spain. Some destinations worth considering out of Budapest for the weekend include:

- Eger

- Sopron and Eszterhazy palace

- Pecs

- Veszprem and Balatonfured

If you do wish to go to the other countries, then flying is your only option because of the distance. I know that Malev and Alitalia code share to both Rome and Milan Malpensa, Malev and Air France code share to Paris and Malev and Iberia code share to Madrid. Wizzair is a low-cost airline to consider too but their number of routes out of Budapest is limited and they do not fly all of their routes every day. I am not sure who flies to Athens.

READING
Level Contributor
145 posts
9 reviews
3. Re: 3 weeks in Budapest

Ouch you will be really going for it!! A starting point would be to describe your interests and budget and what you want to do. Culture/Beach or the bar scene.

I suggest you perhaps fly to one destination and then plan train/bus routes. Again it depends on your budget and interests.

Don't want to seem a kill joy but there are so many wonderful sights and experiences and people that sometimes it is good to take things more slowly.

I lived in Provence for a while and have visited the lakes in Italy. Barcelona is good as is the greek Islands. All of which are expensive.

Romania is a fantastic country to visit as is Prague in the Czech republic. All we know about Hungary is Budapest but hope to rectify that soon.

Without knowing your comfort zone and interests can't really say more at this point.

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,807 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: 3 weeks in Budapest

I agree completely with Mutiny.

If you are going to be doing your medical studies at Semmelweiss, then you'll have time to see the other countries. Hungary is certainly a LOT cheaper than either France or Italy. Spain used to be cheap 30 yrs ago, but isn't any longer.

Comment: As of two weeks ago, Pecs was still a mess, thanks to the discovery of yet more Roman artifacts. While it is claimed that things will be back to normal by early April, I wouldn't bet on it.

I would defintiely add Eger and Sopron. Reasons for Sopron: 1) Very cheap compared to Budapest. 2) Only 1 hr 20 minutes from Vienna, with almost hourly trains.

5. Re: 3 weeks in Budapest

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, September 21, 2010