We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to get to Italy from Budapest

Orillia, Ontario
Level Contributor
6 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to get to Italy from Budapest

My husband and I are wanting to come to Budapest were his family is from. I want to see Italy and Germany. Tours I have found can do 2 of the 3 countries. So I am considering finding another way to get to Italy and join another tour. Is there a direct train to Venice? I know we can fly.

2 replies to this topic
Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
12,648 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to get to Italy from Budapest

Search the forum for 'venice', that has been discussed before.

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
9,282 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to get to Italy from Budapest

1. Take an afternoon Railjet train from Budapest to Vienna in just 2h45 from just €13 booked at www.mavcsoport.hu (Hungarian Railways) or from €19 if booked at www.oebb.at (Austrian Railways).

The trains are modern, comfortable, free WiFi, power sockets, and a bistro-restaurant car.

Trains leave every couple of hours through the day.

2. Now either:

a) Stay overnight and take the 06:25 EuroCity to Venice arriving 14:05. Fares for this start at just €29 booked at www.oebb.at . The train takes the wonderfully scenic UNESCO-listed Semmering route, it's a gem, a fab journey, see https:/…Semmering_railway

From 10 December 2017 this once a day EuroCity train will become two daily Railjets with bistro-restaurant, one leaving Vienna at 06:25 and another at 12:25, a significant improvement!

or

b) Catch the sleeper! A Nightjet sleeper train leaves Vienna at 21:27 arriving Venice Santa Lucia on the banks of the Grand Canal itself at 08:24 next morning. Saves a hotel bill and a sleeper ride is a unique European experience.

Book at www.oebb.at from €59 with couchette or €99 with a bed in a cosy 2-bed sleeper, breakfast included. You print your own ticket.

You could leave central Budapest at 15:40, have dinner in Vienna and be on the Grand Canal in Venice at breakfasttime next morning. Who needs planes?

Reply to: Best way to get to Italy from Budapest
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted