We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Piran to Verona by public transport?

Which Piran hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NYC
Level Contributor
32 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Piran to Verona by public transport?

What is the easiest way to go by public transport from Piran to Verona on a Friday? I'm doing some advance planning for next June. Is there something less cumbersome than the 6:45 am bus to Trieste? That one seems to go to the airport (I think) not the train station? I can take a taxi for 70 euros to Trieste train station from Piran if all else fails, and then get a train to Verona, but it would be nice to find a cheaper completely public option. Thank you.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
1,373 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Piran to Verona by public transport?

In September, I needed to get from Piran to Trieste ("Trst" in Slovenian)on a Sunday, when the bus wasn't even an option. I think that 6:45 am bus from Piran does go to the Trieste bus station though, on "Italian Workdays," and the bus station is adjacent to the train station in Trieste I think. The B&B owner drove me himself for €40, but had the bus run that day I probably would have taken it instead (we wound up leaving right around 6:45 anyway). Still, you might have the same option to save money that way vs. a taxi.

If you hate the idea of leaving at 6:45, you also have the option of a bus from Piran to Koper and then one of the international buses from Koper to Trieste. The bus connections might not be great; maybe you could take a cheaper taxi ride to Koper and split the difference or something.

Here's the website of the Trieste train station and the bus schedule for buses to Koper (and Piran at 6:45).

www.autostazionetrieste.it/index.php…

Here is a link to Slovenian buses.

http://www.ap-ljubljana.si/eng/

FYI, in the summer there may also be a boat option from Piran (or nearby) across to Venice (probably not cheap), and then you could take an easy train ride to Verona.

Edited: 9:07 pm, November 06, 2011
NYC
Level Contributor
32 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Piran to Verona by public transport?

Thank you. I did find the boat, but it seems to run only on some weekend days. I guess I might try to ask around for a driver. The hotel referred me to a tour company and they wanted the 70 euros, I had thought 40 euros was closer to the going rate, though for that transfer. I may need to get up for the 6:45 bus after all!

3. Re: Piran to Verona by public transport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, November 07, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Piran