We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visting Slovenia, Maribor

pragha
1 post
Save Topic
visting Slovenia, Maribor

Hello!

My friend and i have decided to visit Slovenia in late May this year. Some friends recommended us to visit The Eastern part ( Maribor, Ptuj ) of Slovenia. What are the most interestig sights there. What do we have to see? Since we are bicycle lovers, we were wondering if we could rent a bicycle in Maribor and do some cycling. Are there any special trails for cyclists? Does anyone know some hotels in Maribor that are nice, but not to expensive?

Thanks!

Peter

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Ljubljana
Level Contributor
2,353 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: visting Slovenia, Maribor

A large part of eastern Slovenia is rural and mostly flat and thus very appropriate for biking. Some trains allow bicycles but I am almost sure that you will be able to borrow bicycles in Maribor or Ptuj.

Stajerska and Prekmurje are littered with very good spas and wine roads. People are friendly, the food is good and the prices are much lower than in Ljubljana.

Edited: 4:36 am, January 28, 2010
Ljubljana, Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Ljubljana
Level Contributor
2,353 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: visting Slovenia, Maribor

About renting a bike in Maribor and a lot more at:

www.maribor-pohorje.si/default.aspx…

I think you will be able to understand most of the page. Otherwise use Google or ask me for a short translation.

3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: visting Slovenia, Maribor

Hi!

If you want biking I highly recomended you to stay in Pomurje (Prlekija&Prekmurje) where you can find a lots of great cycle path. Regardless of your cycling appetites - whether you are a persistent long-distance biker type or you prefer more demanding cycling challenges - you will certainly find what you are looking for in Prlekija. You won't get bored here either, as this country's amazing landscape simply must fulfil expectations of any honest recreationist. The Jerizalem wine road is great and also Goricko (cross the river Mura in Prekmurje). If you want to stay in centre of this region I recommended you to stay in Soncna hisa Banovci, a small, familly running boutique hotel or in other hotel's and appartements. People in Pomurje are very kind and helpfull, so you can get everything you needed on this trip...

Enjoy in SLO!

Natasa

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,387 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: visting Slovenia, Maribor

Personally I prefer Maribor & Štajerska, & Ptuj. to Ljubljana & other places; less touristy & I agree with MarjanJerman - people seem more friendly...

Here are some practical info & advice, also hostels, etc.

www.bugeurope.com/destinations/si-staj.html

Cycling in Ptuj

www.terme-ptuj.si/vsebina.php…

From this website: "Cycling maps are available from the local tourist information offices in Maribor and Ptuj. Bikes are available for hire. "

http://www.sloveniastays.com/activities.html

If you would prefer a more structured cycling vacation, here are some websites on that:

www.sycp.si/sycp/Slovenia_by_Bicycle.wlgt

http://www.cyclingslovenia.com/

Late May IMO is a great time to visit. Have fun!

Hoofddorp, The...
Level Contributor
1,393 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: visting Slovenia, Maribor

Hi there,

Never thought I'dd give an advise on this forum......

As it's not yet end of may: at this moment I'm in Pohorje region, near Maribor, in Bolfenk. It's up the mountain, next to the 'new' gondola cable car. If cycling means mountainbiking, here you will be able to have a lot of fun. The mountainbike tracks go from 1100m down the hill through forrest and ski slopes and it's fabulous. you can find more info here:

pohorje.org/mariborsko-pohorje-poleti/pohorj… (in slovenian language but it gives an impression....)

and here: www.pohorje.org/en/mariborsko-pohorje-summer/

The area is very scenic, the view over Maribor spectacular, allthough very quiet and not many people around at the moment, apart from a russian soccer team having a summer trainingcamp and some lost dutchies.....

And, to add to this post: never had such a great service in the hotel, friendlyness of hotelstaff is amazing, nothing is asked too much, food is good, prices reasonable.....

Seriously thinking of returning here in winter for ski-holiday.........see how it is then......so far, the area and the people have fufilled my expectations more than I could have wished for.

Regards,

Wiki

Hoofddorp, The...
Level Contributor
1,393 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: visting Slovenia, Maribor

And, by the way, if you're interested in just cruising the city, you might try the Tourist information Center downtown Maribor, they rent bikes themselves I noticed today....

Regards

Wiki

Narooma, Australia
Level Contributor
977 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: visting Slovenia, Maribor

I've just returned from Slovenia - it's very beautiful. Many large glacial valleys, green rolling hills, vineyards galore, friendly people (who frequently speak very good, or very passable English), great food, and quite inexpensive in the Eastern side of the country - and, I'd imagine a cyclists' paradise. The rural roads are good, seem to go everywhere, and have very little traffic. The tourist information people will be able to suppy you with all sorts of information (I don't know about cycling, but they have an extensive booklet about walking in Slovenia - I'd imagine they also have one on cycling). We stayed at the Hotel Tabor in Maribor (walking - and definitely cycling - distance to the centre of town), which was clean, quiet, inexpensive and had very helpful staff, which we booked through booking.com. Enjoy your trip - and please post a report on your return on tripadvisor.

8. Re: visting Slovenia, Maribor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, November 06, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Maribor