We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

few questions

Which Ljubljana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
milton keynes
Level Contributor
45 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
few questions

Hi - I am making my first visit to Ljubljana over xmas for a week 22-29th and I have a few questions:

Firstly i understand the Euro is becoming the main currency in January. Should I therefore take euros or will I still get a good exchange rate changing Tolars back in to GBP? I understand things are often cheaper in Tolars and for a week I might save a bit.

what do you guys suggest

Also - its just me and my girlfriend going - how much on average in a average restaurant how much should I expect to pay for a main meal for 2.

I'm also interested in prices of lager and cigarettes.

Does Ljubljana stay open over xmas or do bars and restaurants close?

My girlfriend and I love Prague and hoping we can walk about Ljubljana in a similar way finding places of interests and nice places to eat and drink - will this be the case?

Finally will I be able to keep up with UK Premiership football in bars over there - is the premier league shown in Ljublana bars?

All advice greatly recieved - I'm new to tripadvisor but I certainly plan to help others in the future

milton keynes
Level Contributor
45 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: few questions

also what weather shall we expect over xmas - is it cold and snowy

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
31 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: few questions

I visited in November, and everybody was accepting Euros or Tolars. The only exception was at a local food vendor. One problem we encountered was that we withdrew money from an ATM and it dispensed Tolars. We went to a restaurant and did not have enough Tolars to pay the bill, so we used Euros. They gave us change back in Tolars, so we were stuck with even more currency than we hoped!

I think the Tolar is pegged to the Euro (fixed rate)--if that's true, it wouldn't be any cheaper to use the Tolar.

I can say that Ljubljana is a delightful city for walking with many places to eat and shop, etc.

The most we paid for a meal was around €30--main course and two beers/wine each. Very affordable, I thought.

Others will be able to provide you with answers to your other questions, I'm sure.

Enjoy your trip!

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
572 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: few questions

With the regards to currency I would definately use tolars you do get a bit more for your money due to the pound being a bit stronger than the Euro.

Secondly you get a much better rate changing your sterling when you arrive.

I changed up about £60 into tolars from my local american express office just to cover incidentals when i arrived the rate was around 320SIT to the £

I changed up the rest of my money in the bank at Bled and I got a rate of 357SIT to the £

So quite a difference if your changing a lot up. You will easily be able to just get served at a restaurant. The price compared to here in the UK is very reasonable. I eat out had a 3 course meal for 2 with bottle of wine the bill came to about £45 and that included me leaving a very generous tip! the same meal here in the UK would have cost me in excess of £60 without a tip!

The xmas markets will be on whilst your in the city and i believe things will be shut over xmas and boxing day.

As far as premiership matches this could be quite difficult there is one English pub I know of in Ljubljana its right by the city hotel. Whether they show uk matches or not is another thing.

I must say Ljubljana has not (yet!!) gone down the route that prague has with hundreds of stag dos british bars etc. and I hope it NEVER goes this way certain parts of Prague have been ruined if the tourism ministers of Slovenia are listening you dont need the Stag or Hen do tourism!!!!

It is still a very traditional and young city the average age is 30 i think!!

I hope you have a great time!!!

milton keynes
Level Contributor
45 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: few questions

so would you guys suggest keeping all my cash in GBP and changing it when I get over there

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
31 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: few questions

<<"so would you guys suggest keeping all my cash in GBP and changing it when I get over there">>

I can say with 90% confidence that you are more likely to get the best conversion rate if you withdraw cash from an ATM. This is true of almost anywhere in the world.

Better yet, use your credit card for most of your purchases.

If you exchange GBP for Tolars and then end up with too much Slovenian cash and have to change Tolars back to GBP, you'll get burned with a poor exchange rate twice, not just once. Or if you must have cash before you get there, change for Euro--as it is accepted nearly everywhere in Slovenia now. Then if you have more than you need, you're not stuck with an obsolete currency.

By the way, currently 1 GBP= 355.633 Tolar (see http://www.xe.com/)

Just my humble advice.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
46 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: few questions

In relation to finding somewhere to watch the football, you shouldn't have a problem. We were there in September and we watched 2 premiership games in a local pub, and there were lots of others showing premiership games. You will see bars displaying the sky sports logo and they will show any games that are on sky.

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
572 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: few questions

Back to the money, personally i would still not use Euros yet! definately not!!!

As i said change a small amount here in the UK or take euros for incidentals when you arrive. e.g. a taxi a drink

Then when your are their change your money up as and when you need it.

You will find it easy to get the exchange rate of around 350SIT to the £ whilst you are over there but if you use your card in the atm or credit card or change your money here in the UK you are going to get a rate of around 320SIT instead.

I believe locals still like dealing with Tolars and if you pay in euros you will get change in tolars at the bar or restaurants workings from a calculator this means you do ultimately pay a little more if your using Euros.

For example I booked a taxi to the airport for 37 euros this is around £26 i Paid in tolars and it came to £22.

bled
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: few questions

Some prices:

large beer from 1,8 EUR in restaurant

Marlboro 2,38EUR-very cheap

Dinner for 2 from EUR 16

Rent appartment. from EUR 65/day

Hotel : from EUR 55/day

Payment-exchange in Ljubljana SIT 239,64/ 1EUR

Ljubljana is smaller than Praga, lovely Town

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
31 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: few questions

<<"You will find it easy to get the exchange rate of around 350SIT to the £ whilst you are over there but if you use your card in the atm or credit card or change your money here in the UK you are going to get a rate of around 320SIT instead">>

I'm curious if this is what you experienced in Slovenia, tjay2?

In the past, my experience, and the experience of many others, shows that you always get the best possible rate when withdrawing money from the ATM when you get to another country. Second-best is from a bank, and last resort is at the hotel.

If you arrive by air or train, there are ATMs everywhere from which to withdraw money. Yes, it is nice to have a small amount of cash on hand when you get to another country, but with the abundance of ATMs now, there is less of a justification for paying the fees and commissions to change money before you leave.

We took money from the ATM and received a rate of 187.06 per USD. The actual rate that day (from xe.com) was 187.06 per USD. Our 5000SIT withdrawal cost us only $.39--convert that to GBP and that's hardly anything. If you can find a rate better than 355SIT in the UK--buy it!

If you withdraw too many Tolars, you will be stuck with them, or get a poor rate converting back to GBP. That's why I recommend Euros. Maybe somebody from Slovenia would like to comment?

Sorry for the long post. I think tjay2 provided some excellent advice and I did not mean for this to seem as a personal attack--just my opinion.

bled
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: few questions

Today's rate is 352,9808SIT/GBP