We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Ljubljana to Venice

Which Ljubljana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Durango, Colorado
1 post
Save Topic
Travel from Ljubljana to Venice

Planning trip in late 2013. What is the latest news on what appears to be an on again off again mode of travel for this trip?

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
1,263 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel from Ljubljana to Venice

Not sure what you mean by "on again off again." To my knowledge, the DRD bus I took from Venice to Ljubljana in 2009 (also goes the other way) is still going daily:

http://drd.si/en/default.aspx?ID=199

There's also a service called GoOpti that is frequently recommended here but I've never used it.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel from Ljubljana to Venice

We just used Go Opti fo travel from Ljubljana to Venice on August 26, 2013. and I would recommend their service. We had a window of 6 am to 9 am and the actual meeting time at Platform 25 at the Ljubljana bus station was 7:45 am and the driver was there - very punctual! The van has seating for 8 passengers: 3 in back, 3 in middle, and 2 up front with driver. We made 1 stop to drop off 2 passengers at an airport about 1 1/4 outside Ljubljana and we also used the restrooms. The next stop was Venice airport, where we dropped off 4 people, and then circled around and picked up 3 passengers. The driver then dropped us off at the Venice Bus Station. We were at the bus station before 11:00 am. One word of caution though was the e-mail from Go Opti went to my Spam folder and I didn't see it so I wrote to them to find out the time. They also text you, however, I did not have texting service while traveling in Europe. Happy Travels and I was thrilled to have the choice to use Go Opti and make the reservation prior to traveling.

Gorizia, Italy
Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel from Ljubljana to Venice

I recommend you to stop at least one day in Trieste, a stunning city (Lonely Planet lists it as the most underrated destination in Europe). There are two castles, many churches (even Orthodox), a synagogue, the largest seafront square in Europe (Piazza Unità), a stunning medieval old town and a lot of great palace architecture which can be otherwise found only in Vienna. Trieste is a culture melting pot, with unique cuisine, wines and a typical vintage atmosphere. It's really a great city to spend a day or two - don't miss the gorgeous Miramare castle.

For the transport, you can take from Venice the direct train to Trieste, then the bus to Ljubljana. Shouldn't be too complicated. The trains are frequent and fast. For the bus check this link:

www.autostazionetrieste.it/index.php…

Bungay, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel from Ljubljana to Venice

Hi

In JULY 2013 we traveled from Bled to Venice, by getting a train to Nova Goriz then walking across the border to Italy to get another train from Gorizia Central. I spent months researching and using forums and found this to be the cheapest, quickest and easiest option, plus the route through Slovenia was so beautiful, but lots of stops.

I'm sure you could find the the same train out of Ljubljana. I read bad reviews about the DRD so it put me off and plus the trains are much more frequent so you have so much more flexibility with times.

Gorizia, Italy
Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel from Ljubljana to Venice

You are right, in fact I live in Gorizia - there is even a city bus that in 10 minutes connects the railway station in Gorizia (Italy) with the station in Nova Gorica (Slovenia): the border is open and free. Otherwise, you can stroll from the first to the second station: Gorizia offers a pretty castle and a small medieval city center. But be aware that trains in Slovenia, unlike in Italy, are very slow and uncomfortable: most of them are on diesel. From Venice to Gorizia there are direct trains (2 hours, 14€), but to go to Ljubljana from Nova Gorica you will need to change in Jesenice: the journey should take nearly 4 hours, instead of the 1h20m required by car. A bus from Trieste should be faster (only 2 hours), and even connections from Venice to Trieste are very frequent and fast (better than to Gorizia). And by the way, personally I think that Trieste is nicer and more interesting than Ljubljana.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
184 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel from Ljubljana to Venice

Carly2686,

I see you're talking about the train departing from the Bled Jezero train station, which requires no changes until Nova Gorica. In fact, that seems to be a great tip! Thank you for sharing it!

Edited: 12:07 am, September 11, 2013
Gorizia, Italy
Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel from Ljubljana to Venice

Yes, it's true, from Nova Gorica you can arrive in Bled Jezero in 1h45m, without changing the train. The fare is around 6,50€.

8. Re: Travel from Ljubljana to Venice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, September 13, 2014