We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Budapest to Ljubljana

new york
Level Contributor
731 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Train from Budapest to Ljubljana

I would like to come down for a few days from Budapest to Ljubljana and would like to get information on train schedules and prices (round trip). How long is the train ride?

Thank you

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
439 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Budapest to Ljubljana

Check www.bahn.de for timetabling information, using the English language option.

Vipava, Slovenia
Level Contributor
946 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Budapest to Ljubljana

Too long! :)

Takes all day. We get into Ljubljana at 2100 and then have to pick up a retnal car. But yes, check bahn.com for all the info!

Greg and Rona

new york
Level Contributor
731 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Budapest to Ljubljana

Thank you for the information. Found what I needed.

4. Re: Train from Budapest to Ljubljana

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 1:58 pm, March 07, 2015
Edited: 1:58 pm, March 07, 2015
Europe
Level Contributor
538 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Budapest to Ljubljana

Return ticket for the direct train (via Hodos) bought at the station will cost you 49 euro (can be bought even before departure). During the summer there is also will be direct overnight train twice a week, so you might take advantage of it. Or alternatively, in case you have time, travel via Croatia (Zagreb) with a stop for sightseeing and changing train there

London, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Budapest to Ljubljana

Hi EuropeTrainsGuide,

Where can I see information on the twice weekly overnight trains for summer for this route? Do you know which days it will run?

Thanks

Europe
Level Contributor
538 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from Budapest to Ljubljana

It will run from 22/06 to 24/08 on Tuesdays and Fridays from Budapest (18:38-6:06), actual train (#1246/1247) is Budapest-Ljubljana-Pula. Thursdays and Sundays from Ljubljana (22:56-9:20)

London, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Train from Budapest to Ljubljana

Thanks

Tallinn, Estonia
Level Contributor
1,479 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train from Budapest to Ljubljana

Ya just took it yesterday Piran -Ljubljana -Budapest a 3 hour bus ride that starts at 4,15 am to get into Ljubljana on time to get the 9 hour ride to Budapest which ariv,ed at almost 6 pm..so that a 13,5 hours....I know i keep talking about renting cars ..hmmm am driving!! back today leaving at 9am should be on my terrace in Piran by 3 pm!!! Again if you ar traveling alone ok the bus and train combo cost about €60 and renting the cheapest car, plus fuel and Slovenia and Hungary stickers about the same , but the moment two or more are travelling well its cheaper by far per person, plus 6 hours vis a vis 13,5!! Have a great weekend to everyone!!

Ohio
Level Contributor
20 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train from Budapest to Ljubljana

I am on the www.bahn.de website and see a train I would like to take. It won't let you purchase the tickets though. Is this easy to do when you are in Buadpest?

Edited: 10:30 am, May 25, 2013