We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trains From Ljubljana to Mayrhofen, Austria??

Which Ljubljana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Trains From Ljubljana to Mayrhofen, Austria??

Hi i am planning on doing a little ski trip in january '12 i have friends living in Ljubljana and we are trying to figure out the best way to get from there to Mayrhofen in austria.. would it be feasable to drive or is train (what train) would be the best option?? im thinking there wil be alot of snow so im not sure about the travelling during this time of year!!

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Ljubljana
Level Contributor
2,315 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trains From Ljubljana to Mayrhofen, Austria??

It is possible to get there by a train, for example: 7.28 - 14.35:

However, the journey will be rather complicated and long:

Ljubljana Mo, 07.11.11 ab 07:28 D 314 Schnellzug

Bitte reservieren, Nichtraucherzug, Schlafwagen, Liegewagen, Kleinkindabteil

Villach Hbf Mo, 07.11.11 an 09:08 5B

Umsteigezeit 8 Min. Umsteigezeit anpassen

Villach Hbf Mo, 07.11.11 ab 09:16 4 EC 114 Eurocity

Fahrradmitnahme reservierungspflichtig, Fahrradmitnahme begrenzt möglich, Bordrestaurant, Rollstuhlstellplatz, Rollstuhlstellplatz - Voranmeldung unter +43 (0) 5 1717, rollstuhltaugliches WC, Kleinkindabteil

Schwarzach-St.Veit Mo, 07.11.11 an 10:49 3

Umsteigezeit 32 Min. Umsteigezeit anpassen

Schwarzach-St.Veit Mo, 07.11.11 ab 11:21 2 OIC 542 ÖBB-IC

Fahrradmitnahme reservierungspflichtig, Fahrradmitnahme begrenzt möglich, Damenabteil, Businessabteil, Mobiler Bordservice (Snacks und Getränke), Rollstuhlstellplatz, Rollstuhlstellplatz - Voranmeldung unter +43 (0) 5 1717, rollstuhltaugliches WC, Handy-/Ruhezonen, Kinderkino, Stillabteil

Jenbach Mo, 07.11.11 an 13:24 2

Fußweg 4 Min. Umsteigezeit anpassen

Jenbach Zillertalbahn Mo, 07.11.11 ab 13:37 R 147 Regionalzug

Fahrradmitnahme begrenzt möglich, nur 2. Klasse

Mayrhofen im Zillertal Mo, 07.11.11 an 14:35

Edited: 8:12 am, November 06, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trains From Ljubljana to Mayrhofen, Austria??

is there any translation into english i cant read that unfortunately! thank you though..

Edited: 8:24 am, November 06, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trains From Ljubljana to Mayrhofen, Austria??

never mind i have it in google translate.. in regards to complication how hard would it be?? is there any other way id be able to make the journey i.e buses?

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Trains From Ljubljana to Mayrhofen, Austria??

I'm afraid trains are your best bet, in fact every connection will be that complicated, Mayrhofen and Ljubljana aren't connected by any straightforward route. If you have the option to drive I'd prefer driving there myself, your friends from Ljubljana will probably have winter tyres on their car, that will be enough to make it to Mayrhofen safely. Perhaps some snow chains in the boot just in case (although in all my years going skiing to Austria I've never ever had to use them, in case of a blizzard winter tyres were always enough).

This is the best route to take: http://g.co/maps/bcgff

It's a very comfortable drive, I've driven over all of those roads myself and it's mostly stress-free driving, as roads are kept clear of snow and they are wide. There are some tolls along the way, there is only one mountain pass on the way, the rest are tunnels under the mountains or driving in the valleys. The tolls along the way are for the Karavanke Tunnel (€6.50), the Austrian vignette (€8), the Felbertauern Tunnel (€10) and the Gerlos Mountain Pass (€7.50).

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Trains From Ljubljana to Mayrhofen, Austria??

Just a word of advice about the Gerlos Pass, there is an alternative road across the pass which is free of toll, but it's considerably less well maintained, and I'm not sure if it's even open in the winter, so I'd recommend spending the €7.50 on the toll road, which is kept clear at all times and well maintained as all other main roads in Austria.

6. Re: Trains From Ljubljana to Mayrhofen, Austria??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, November 07, 2012