We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

recommendations for car rental in Ljubljana

Which Ljubljana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
16 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
recommendations for car rental in Ljubljana

Hi

I'd like to rent a car for a week in Ljubljana to visit the countryside.

Does anyone have any recommendations for reliable car rental companies? We'd like a compact car for my husband and I.

Any suggestions or advice would be welcome. It's our first time in Slovenia and we're looking forward to our trip.

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Level Contributor
610 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: recommendations for car rental in Ljubljana

Will you be renting the car right in town or at the airport?

California
Level Contributor
16 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: recommendations for car rental in Ljubljana

I will be renting the car in town after I visit Ljubljana. I was told not to rent a car until I am ready to leave Ljubjana. I could return the car in Ljubjana or at the airport before our departure.

Thank you for your help.

Karina

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Level Contributor
610 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: recommendations for car rental in Ljubljana

Ok, I see. It is true that you do not need the car for sightseeing in town. Ljubljana is very compact and you can easily walk to all the main sights, just make sure you book a hotel in the center.

Regarding rental cars - my friends who visit and decide to pick up the car in the center usually go with Hertz, National or Sixt. Hertz is usually a bit pricy, but Sixt especially offers reasonable rates. None of the people I know has ever had any problems with any of the mentioned companies. The only thing you need to be careful about is if you intend to drive into Croatia or even further south as there are restrictions about that.

Hope any of this helps.

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Level Contributor
610 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: recommendations for car rental in Ljubljana

Oh, and one more thing. Cars here are almost all stick shift - just to make sure you are aware of that, but you probably are. Automatic is only available in the superior car category.

California
Level Contributor
16 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: recommendations for car rental in Ljubljana

Thanks for the response. I will check Sixt out. Yes, I figured we would get a stick shift. My husband can drive one. I can't :-(.

I'll have to check on crossing the border to Croatia. We had not planned to go to Croatia but one never knows!!

Prague
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: recommendations for car rental in Ljubljana

One of the best offers we found was from economycarrentals.com - you might also try them. Low rates and lots included in them.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
20 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: recommendations for car rental in Ljubljana

My husband and I rented a Hertz Rental Car (via AAA) in Downtown Llubjana. It was about a 4 block walks from the main train station. Very easy! We paid $600 Euros for 16 days - a good deal, I thought. Had full insurance, 2nd driver, etc. (I had also checked with EuropeCar.com)

Definitely visit Lake Bled. Stay at Garni Hotel "Berc" (www.berc-sp.si) and remember that you're only a short way from Salzburg, too.

You can also drive into Croatia, Plvtice Park is gorgeous. The Slovenia Coast is beautiful but I adored the Jurian Alps that border Austria!

Enjoy!