We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trains from Italy to Slovenia

lisbon
13 posts
Save Topic
trains from Italy to Slovenia

There is anyone who can tell me the schedulles of trains from Milano to Lubljana in July next. Someone told me that we have to change at Mestre Station in Venice, is that true.

I will be traveling with too more friends from Lisbon, POrtugal to Milano and from there to Lubljana by train, and we also want to know the prices in 1ªst classe and if we can book a cabin with 3 beds in case the trip be at night.

Thanks in advance for all information on subject

Joaquim Afonso

Lisboa

Portugal

Ljubljana, SI
Level Contributor
196 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: trains from Italy to Slovenia

Hi,

yes, that's right. There's no direct connection from Milano to the east of Italy. You must change trains in Mestre.

Mind that there are only two trains from Mestre to Slovenia, one in the afternoon and one in the evening:

slo-zeleznice.si/en/…

For the Milano to Mestre leg find the schedule here:

http://www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html

I don't think you need sleeping information. I just wonder if there's possible to book a bed to Ljubljana on EN241 at all.

Cheers,

Beni

lisbon
13 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: trains from Italy to Slovenia

Hi Beni,

Thank you very much for the help. Anyway, I need more informations about this. I went to the site of Trenitalia but unfortunately I could not reach the information I need. Maybe it's because I'm new in the ways of Internet.

Do you know by any chance, if the train leaving Milano to Mestre in order to get the other train to Lublijana is leaving the first city about 16h55 and arriving at Mestre about 19h18, wich is train nº.155???

Another question is if we can buy a cabin (couchette) with 3 beds in fist class and the price and, how can we reserv by internet.

If you can get more information about this I will be very gratefull.

Thanks again

Joaquim Afonso

Ljubljana, SI
Level Contributor
196 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: trains from Italy to Slovenia

Hi,

I cannot tell you much because I've never used the service you are asking about. Maybe you can start here: trenitalia.com/en/…slovenia.html

If you click on the "see the timetable" link, you should be able to find a time table and a link further to the on-line booking. There you can also chose the class and find the prices.

I've no idea if booking intl. rides really works fine. Maybe somebody else would know.

I can confirm your other question: yes, the train CIS 155 leaves Milano central station at 16:55 and arrives to Venezia Mestre at 19:18.

Cheers,

Beni

Malta
Level Contributor
341 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: trains from Italy to Slovenia

The afternoon service from Venice Mestre to Ljubljana seems to have been active only till March 31st. There is only a daily train which arrives at 01:51 in Ljubljana. Can someone confirm this please ?

Ljubljana, SI
Level Contributor
196 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: trains from Italy to Slovenia

You are right. I cannot believe it.

Here is the explanation from Slovenske železnice:

"From April 1st. 2008 the international train EC 60 and EC 61 "Casanova" runs only on Slovenian route from Ljubljana to Sežana and to Villa Opicina. Due to the unilateral suspension of service by Italian Railways, the train does not run on Italian lines from Villa Opicina to Venice."

Source: slo-zeleznice.si/en/…

Cheers,

Beni

Malta
Level Contributor
341 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: trains from Italy to Slovenia

Thanks. I will have to arrive at 01:51 with my young children then. If someone has any other ideas I would be very grateful on travel from Italy to Ljubljana. In my case from Desenzano del Garda.

Spain
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, New Brunswick
Level Contributor
6,731 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: trains from Italy to Slovenia

Try looking at a flight as thet train ride will be very long with young children. There are some cheap airlines - eg easyjet, ryanair + there is a spanish one as well- which fly in europe. We were going to Bled from Trento last year and the train was not easy - we ended up getting a ride in someone else's car. We were in Lisbon a couple of years ago and really liked it. Good luck

Malta
Level Contributor
341 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: trains from Italy to Slovenia

Thanks but I've checked for cheap flights. There are no direct flights from close to the Garda area to Ljubljana, even though there are many airports in Italy. Thanks the same but I'll still be open to suggestions if something comes up.

Cardiff, United...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: trains from Italy to Slovenia

The best site for planning rail jouneys is here plannerint.b-rail.be/bin/query.exe/en…

and the best site for booking tickets is via German Rail here bahn.hafas.de/bin/query.exe/en…

Both these sites are very good and detailed and German Rail are very efficient at booking tickets. You can email them with queries, they will give you a price and then book tickets for you.

James

Virginia, USA
Level Contributor
596 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: trains from Italy to Slovenia

geomang, I am facing the same situation. I had planned to take the afternoon train from Venice to Ljubljana in May only to find last weekend that it had been cancelled.

Another option (but more expensive it seems) it to take a train from Venice to Villach and then change to a train to Ljubljana. There is one that departs Venice Mestre at 14:56, arrives Villach at 17:40, departs Villach at 18:04 and arrives Ljubljana at 19:48.