We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in winter

Singapore, Singapore
2 posts
1 review
Driving in winter

Hi.. not sure if its safe to drive in winter - December, from Austria - Slovenia ?? As I think duration is shorter by taking train and bus !!! As we are from Singapore, and not sure if its appropriate to drive..

3 replies to this topic
Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
21,137 posts
63 reviews
51 helpful votes
1. Re: Driving in winter

To add to my other reply, driving in winter is less safe then driving in summer, obviously. Train or bus will be a longer transfer in time but much safer. If you are only looking for a long haul like Vienna to Ljubljana then you have several options, like plane, bus and train.

Walbrzych, Poland
Level Contributor
27 posts
14 reviews
5 helpful votes
2. Re: Driving in winter

Motorways in Slovenia and Austria are well maintaned so i think it is safe. Obviously, as stated above, not so safe as in summer, but comparing to motorways in some other EU countries, driving in SLO in winter is safe.

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Level Contributor
1 post
112 reviews
23 helpful votes
3. Re: Driving in winter

If you haven’t drive in winter conditions with potential icy roads, snow and plenty of fog on passages from Austria to Slovenia, I recommend you to use Flix bus or Airline from Austria to Slovenia in winter. You might be fine with car but why risk and ruin the vacation.

Reply to: Driving in winter
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted