We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zagreb from Ljubljana by car

Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
5,572 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
Zagreb from Ljubljana by car

I'm planning a day trip to Zagreb in mid April by a rental car. It's only 140 km by the shortest route which is mostly motorway.

Any good ideas for an alternative route to get back from Zagreb, since usually the motorway will not be most scenic route? Estimated drive time using an alternative route, if there is one.

Ljubljana, SI
Level Contributor
196 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Zagreb from Ljubljana by car

Hi,

let me try to break this nut. ;-)

There are two parallel ways to the mostly motorway road, which you have in mind.

Looking from Ljubljana side:

- one parts from the motorway at Ivančna gorica and goes through the Krka valley passing Muljava. On the way you can see the huge ruins of the Žužemberk castle above the river. Later on this road joins to the motorway.

- the other follows the Sava river all the way to Krško. You pass Litija, Zagorje, Trbovlje, Zidani most, Sevnica, Brestanica and Krško. Then you must drive to Brežice and join the motorway which brings you to the border at Obrežje. This road is of much better quality than the previous mentioned road through the Krka valley. And you can enjoy the Sava gorge between Litija and Zidani most. There's an interesting part from Hrastnik to Zidani most, if you stick by the river. This road is alternatively one-way. But if you are afraid - what I don't think as you are a Finn - then you can go from Hrastnik over the hill to Rimske Toplice and down by the river Savinja to Zidani most.

I've never driven these two ways in the opposite direction as I usually make more difficult part first and leave the motorway for going home when I'm already tired of driving.

Driving times? I'm sorry I have no idea. I never really watch on the clock, when I make such excursions.

Cheers,

Beni

2. Re: Zagreb from Ljubljana by car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:23 am, August 28, 2009