We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is ljubljana resort easy to drive to

warks
Level Contributor
512 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
is ljubljana resort easy to drive to

we are thinking about hiring a car and driving from trieste to the caves ,ljubljana,bled and then to piran, my husband isnt that keen on too much driving on the otherside of the road etc and wants to avoid any busy areas or bad roads etc., ive seen this hotel ljubljana resort advertised and looks great as we have a 7 yr old with us ,it says its 5 kms out of the centre but does anyone know coming from prostojna caves is this easy to get to without driving through the centre of ljubljana which he wont want to do if its a busy city centre. also any idea how long it would take from trieste to prostojna caves, then from caves to bled, trying to work out if we need to stop on way to bled or on way back. also how far piran is from bled, thanks

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Level Contributor
610 posts
319 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: is ljubljana resort easy to drive to

Ljubljana Resort is less than a mile from my Ljubljana home and is very easy to get to and, yes, you don't have to drive even near through the city center.

Arriving from Postojna to Ljubljana take the northern highway - left exit (direction Kranj, Maribor, Airport) at the highway divide Kozarje. Continue on the northern part of Ljubljana beltway and take exit Bezigrad, keep to your left on the exit, take a left at the traffic light and you are now on Dunajska cesta. You just continue straight on for about 2 kilometers (the road will become a two-lane from four-lane and will go slightly downhill), you will see the sign for Ljubljana Resort on your right hand side. It is before the railroad crossing. If you reach the railroad crossing, you have missed it :-). You shouldn't, it's easy to get to.

Trieste - Postojna 45 min

Postojna - Bled 90-100 min

Piran - Bled 150 min

Mentioned in this post
Kranj
Kranj
Upper Carniola Region, Slovenia
Bled
Bled
warks
Level Contributor
512 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: is ljubljana resort easy to drive to

wow thanks a lot for all this information

i was going to by pass ljubljana and just go to bled til i read that the city is lovely and this hotel looks great for my little girl, is there enough things to do and see for a 7 yr old, she wants to go on a horse and carriage is there anything like that in ljubljana, can you tell me what you think of this plan i have and if you think its possible to cram it all in ,i cant decide whether to stay night in bled or visit for the day and travel back to ljubljana resort for another night, also which coast area is nicest, piran/izola or opatija, i really appreciate your input thanks

arrive 30th may stop in trieste overnight

31st may stay at ljubljana

1st june stay at bled or ljubljana again

2nd izola or opatija

3rd izola or opatija

4th trieste

5th home

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Level Contributor
610 posts
319 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is ljubljana resort easy to drive to

I advise you take a horse carriage ride in Bled, they are available there and take you around the lake, which is quite an experience. The other fun thing to do in Bled is take the man-powered boat to the small lake island.

In Ljubljana you could take the boat ride on Ljubljanica River and the brand new tramway up to castle hill. Ljubljana also has quite a lovely zoo, which might be fun for the 7-year old as well.

Regarding you trip itinerary - what do you want to do in Izola, Opatija and Trieste? Piran is great, but a few hours will do, perhaps also visit the aquarium. Not much to do in Izola. Opatija is a nice coastal resort which is trying hard to regain its former glory, but there are not many sights or things to do. It is primarily a vacation destination. Trieste is a nice city, but again I would not want to spend the whole day there. But, that's just me, since I've been to Trieste zillion times. Perhaps you could join visiting Piran and Trieste on you last day and do one in the morning and the next one in the afternoon. Which leaves you with two days for Opatija, which is fine if you are going there just to relax.

Mentioned in this post
Bled
Bled
warks
Level Contributor
512 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: is ljubljana resort easy to drive to

we are only going to trieste because we are flying from there

we arrive 30th and after long day travelling with little one decided to stay overnight in trieste, hire a car from somewhere, 31st drive to the caves and castle then travel later on that day or evening to bled, stay over night in bled, the horse and carriage, boat on bled sounds great, the evening of 1st travel to ljublajna stay there 2 nights, so we can go into the city as wont know where to leave car unless we stay there 2 nights, zoo,castle, boat trip sounds good, then we wanted to relax by the beach for a day for the little one, so either piran area or opatija, we found a good priced hotel in izola thats why i suggested staying there over night of the 3rd, the 4th spend the day in the beach area, over the border later on that day, then spend the evening in trieste or duino area ready for plane 5th need to be at airport around 11 am ish. not sure where to hire car from ,found a good price here . do you know if this is central in trieste

Molo Bersaglieri 3 C/O Staz Marittima, 34124

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Level Contributor
610 posts
319 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: is ljubljana resort easy to drive to

Yes, this is very central, on the Riva (coastline street), just slightly South of Piazza d'Unita, Trieste's central square.

6. Re: is ljubljana resort easy to drive to

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 pm, August 19, 2009