We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which resort for skiing at Christmas?

Which Kranjska Gora hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Essex
Level Contributor
157 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Which resort for skiing at Christmas?

We would like to stay in Slovenia this Christmas for a ski holiday. Which resort is there guaranteed to be snow - or at least more likely to be snow? Looking at Kranjska and Hotel Kompass. We have 2 young kids who will go in to ski school.

Vipava, Slovenia
Level Contributor
945 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Which resort for skiing at Christmas?

Hi there lovers of all things Francais! We hope you will be lovers of all things Slovene after your visit!

You would expect that all resorts would be open and running at full steam by Christmas (judging by this year, the weather caught everyone by surprise!) but obviously the higher you are the better the conditions but most of the resorts like Maribor have their own snow making machines so i cant see it being a major problem. Your main problem is choosing where to go! :)

Kranjska as Slovenia's premier resort is an obvious choice and why not?

The kids are sure to love it.

Cerkno has won family resort awards many times now and is definitely a major consideration as they really do cater to families.

Other choices may be Krvavec north of Ljubljana. They have cute little igloos you can actually book and stay in on the slope! (complete with bar and food etc) fantastic.

And dont forget Vogel, Rogla, Ribnisko and Maribor for somewhere different! They're all worth a visit for a great holiday.

Just off the topic of skiing, a diversion to Postojna Caves is amazing around Christmas, they do the Nativity scenes throughtout the Cave and they way they present it and light the caves is amazing.

And dont forget the Ljubljana Christmas Markets in the capital.

Ok, have a great time wherever you end up!

Greg and Rona

UK
Level Contributor
42 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which resort for skiing at Christmas?

Slovenia for you... we are considering a skiing trip 26th February. we were looking at bled due to the picturesque scenary and how wonderful the grand toplice hotel looks.

but this is our first ski holiday so we really need some advice. i a concerned it wasnt in your report of the options of skiing in slovenia??

thanks

Essex
Level Contributor
157 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which resort for skiing at Christmas?

Bled does look lovely and was our first choice but people we met in Lapland last week told us that you have to travel an hour from Bled to ski. Although Bled is picturesque and looks like a winter wonderland apparently. I had best let the expert advise though.

Vipava, Slovenia
Level Contributor
945 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Which resort for skiing at Christmas?

Hi again!

We have just replied to HKHoliday on the same topic.

Bled is amazing whenever you go but it is not Ski Central if thats what you'r after. It's a good base if you want to travel to Kobla, Vogel, Kranjska Gora or even Krvavec, Velika Planina, but if you dont want to drive far (half hour to hour to these places), best to stay at one of the top resorts like Cerkno, KG, Kanin, Vogel, Krvavec in the north-west, or Maribor, Rogla, Ribnisko etc out east.

Bled is also close to the cross country ski centre at Pokljuka if that interests you.

Cheers

Greg and Rona

Essex
Level Contributor
157 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which resort for skiing at Christmas?

Thanks Greg and Rona, it is a toss up between Slovenia or Norway for this xmas, but the price for Slovenia is so good that we are leaning towards going there. I am just slightly worried about the snow fall. If we go New Year time, we will want to ski as well as do other activities. My husband will go mad if we cant ski so the onus is on me!! I love the look of Bled too but I dont want to travel an hour per day to go skiing, especially since in Kranjska we can be right on the slopes. Just want to be sure it is the right resort for us. I kind of feel it is!

Vipava, Slovenia
Level Contributor
945 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Which resort for skiing at Christmas?

Hi there!

We suspect that Slovenia will be a lot cheaper than Norway so we advise you stop tossing those cookies and choose Slovenia! :)

As for snowfall, most resorts usually open Mid-Late December so we are confident there will be snow if this year is any indication.

As for Bled, if you choose to stay at Kranjska, you can always do a day trip

Bled-Kranjska 40kms about 40 minutes. Or stay in Bled and do a day trip to Kranjska. The distances aren't great in real terms.

From Kranjska, you also have access to Italian and Austrian resorts.

In Bled, you have access to Kobla and Vogel as the nearest resorts (both very good resorts)

Either are great. Go for it girl!

G&R.

7. Re: Which resort for skiing at Christmas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 11, 2011