We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 night in Austria or Croatia

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
262 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
1 night in Austria or Croatia

Hi. we will be staying in Lake Bled for two weeks next June and are looking to book one night away from Bled in either Austria or Croatia but either way it needs to be easily accessible by public transport and as we're travelling with a child preferably no longer than a 2 hour journey away.

I was thinking maybe Croatia so we could spend some time by the sea but I just don't know where is best in the northern part.

And I've always wanted to go to Austria, and it is closer to Bled, but I'm just not sure where really.

I have looked up lots of trip advisor pages for different cities/towns but I feel a bit lost and I would really appreciate any ones advice/experiences.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Lake Bled
Lake Bled
7,385 Reviews
Bled, Slovenia
Austria
Austria
Europe
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
203 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 night in Austria or Croatia

Croatia takes more than 2 hours to reach using public transport. I believe Villach, in Austria, fits your criterias.

Mentioned in this post
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
Villach
Villach
Carinthia, Austria
Austria
Austria
Europe
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
203 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 night in Austria or Croatia

Actually, Zagreb may be an option, since it takes 2h18' by train. Villach takes 56' from Lesce Bled.

Mentioned in this post
Villach
Villach
Carinthia, Austria
Vipava, Slovenia
Level Contributor
993 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 night in Austria or Croatia

Hi!

Yes, not really worth taking a day trip to the Croatian coast or Salzburg for instance as they further than 2 hours. After you take out traveling time, you really only have a few hours sightseeing, even if you stay overnight. There is plenty to do in Slovenia, you won't get bored. But if you want to say you visited a few countries, perhaps a quick day trip to Klagenfurt, Minimundus is great for small (and big) kids!

http://www.minimundus.at/en/

Cheers

Greg and Rona

Sloveniaforyou

Mentioned in this post
Salzburg
Salzburg
Salzburg Region, Austria
Klagenfurt
Klagenfurt
Carinthia, Austria
Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
262 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 night in Austria or Croatia

Thank you everyone :)

I had been looking at Villach but, although very beautiful, according to trip advisor there isn't really many attractions there that a would interest a 5 year old. Thanks for the tip on Klagenfurt and Minimundus, I think that we'll definitely have to take a trip there, I guess now I'm wondering whether to take a long day trip there (early morning-late evening) and then do 1 night in Croatia so that I can get to see them both. I don't really want a night in both as I don't want too much of my Slovenian time taken up especially with the high accommodation costs that I'm paying. I'm not too bothered about Zagreb this time round mainly because I would want to go to a coastal resort, I've noticed there are a few in the very North of Croatia but I can't find out about transport :S

The thing is I'm not worried about being bored in Bled or Slovenia, its more that I have been meaning to go to Croatia and Austria for such a long time that I feel that I should take this opportunity to go see them both, i'm not expecting to get a real feel for them or to properly explore but it would be nice just to see and experience an Austrian town and walk along a Croatian promenade... just the simple things really but with some sort of tourist attraction for my son to be interested in too (beach - Croatia, Minimundus - Austria)... we already have the next few years holidays planned so I know i'm not going to get the chance to come back to the area for a while.

So thanks all and any further advice of recommended times for resorts/other resort recommendations and travel info would be very much appreciated thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Villach
Villach
Carinthia, Austria
Klagenfurt
Klagenfurt
Carinthia, Austria
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
Austria
Austria
Europe
Bled, Slovenia
Level Contributor
2,231 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 night in Austria or Croatia

If Klagenfurt, I have a bonbon for you, only at nice sunny day!

Start from Bled to WörtherSee port! Oldtimer ship cruising to Otok - Maria Wörth, to Vrba - Velden, Poreče - Pörtschah... and Klagenfurt city!

Edited: 10:30 am, December 17, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Klagenfurt
Klagenfurt
Carinthia, Austria
Vipava, Slovenia
Level Contributor
993 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 night in Austria or Croatia

Hi!

Klagenfurt is a manageable day trip, Croatia is a very long day but can be done if you really wanted to.

See www.fils.hr/portfolio/pula-ljubljana-pula/ for instance, you could do an overnight in Porec or Pula

or take transport to Piran and then onto Rovinj using GoOpti

www.goopti.com/index.php…

The train up to Ljubljana Castle and BTC Atlantis swimming pools are other options for your 5 year old.

have a great time.

Greg and Rona

SFY

Mentioned in this post
Klagenfurt
Klagenfurt
Carinthia, Austria
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
7. Re: 1 night in Austria or Croatia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, December 19, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Bled