We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

slovenia for 3 days ? --suggest itinery

Umbria, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast, Umbria
Level Contributor
4,550 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
slovenia for 3 days ? --suggest itinery

2 couples leaving Venice 9th May in Car with a few days to spare...... thinking of a trip into Slovenia after having the Slovenian Olympic team stay for a month before and during the Sydney Olympics. They were great people and showed me their travel brochures and ignited an interest to visit. We are essentially visiting Italy for a month and could be seriously over Churched by then. Bled is a must........from there ?

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Level Contributor
610 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: slovenia for 3 days ? --suggest itinery

It really depends on what your interests are and what activities you find amusing. Generally there are 4 regions of Slovenia each with a different charm and charasteristics: karst, coast, alpine and panonian. If you are coming from Venice by car and have 3 days to spare perhaps the following itinerary would be appropriate: Day1 Cross the border from Italy, visit Piran (medieval coastal town), drive inland to Postojna (visit the cave), drive to Ljubljana. Day 2 Sightseeing in Ljubljana, drive to Bled and Bohinj (two alpine lakes). Day 3 Drive over Vrsic Pass, visit the upper Soca Valley and enjoy one of the adrenalin sports, drive back to Italy.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
20,172 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: slovenia for 3 days ? --suggest itinery

That means it's OK to drive into Slovenia with Italian hire car? We may do similar trip this summer (flying to Treviso) and had considered bit of northern Croatia too. In the past we've hired in Czech Republic and gone into Germany but i've read a post on trip advisor implying this sort of cross-border travel sometimes was not allowed by hire company.Anyone experience of this? Which company are you using?

I visited Slovenia and Istria in 1980, a week in Bled and week in Lovran, both with side-trips. Ljubljana made a good impression too.

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Level Contributor
610 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: slovenia for 3 days ? --suggest itinery

It is true that driving cross border with a car rented either in Italy or in Austria might be a problem. Some rental companies still do not allow driving into Slovenia, however the number of such restrictions has decreased drastically over the past year. Driving into Croatia could be more problematic. I guess you must check with the rental agency, but from what I know renting with Sixt will deal away the problems.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
20,172 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: slovenia for 3 days ? --suggest itinery

Thanks, Slo-Lju. Will check this out. Our other option (which my husband favours in any case) is to drive all the way from Barcelona. Maybe it'll be that in the end.

asia
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: slovenia for 3 days ? --suggest itinery

i'm backpacking in italy in june - have about 5 days to spare and am wondering if that's sufficient time / worth making a trip to slovenia? what's the easiest way of getting to slovenia from italy?

Colorado
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: slovenia for 3 days ? --suggest itinery

driving in SLO is a bit better than in Italy. We 'ignored' the rental car rules - not a good thing, but well..... SLO is easier to get around and the people are generally better drivers than Italians. 3-4 days is worth the trip. BTW - purchase gas in SLO not Italy - much cheaper